Soon to be New Diver in Chicago area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone! As my title indicates, I am a soon to be new diver. Finishing up my OW courses in a week and certification dives in May at Haigh Quarry. I'm told that it is going to be quite a chilly dive with the winter we had in this area. I'm pretty excited about all of it though.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 01:45 PM ----------

As a follow up, I am looking at some dive gear packages. Is there a specific forum where I can ask other member opinions on the gear in these packages, if the prices are decent, etc?

Welcome to the sport and to the community. I second the recommendation not to rush with gear purchase, you can rent and see variety of gear as you dive at Haigh or Pearl lake. Get yourself a good fitting mask for sure, best to do it in a local dive shop where you can try to ensure it is comfortable and seals well.

There are few events locally where dive gear manufacturers have demo days that provide an excellent opportunity to try their gear, best event is demo days by DUI for their drysuits. This year they will be at Pearl lake last weekend of May, first of June. This is a great opportunity to discover diving dry, best way to enjoy local waters. Check schedule and event details at DUI-online.com

Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

I agree with not rushing to purchase your kit.
Get some dives in using different gear if possible.

Find gear that suites YOUR diving style.
You will quickly begin to find out what works for you and what doesn't.
If you rush it, you will end up with piles of gear you never use (Trust me!).

Remember: The best gear is what work best for you, not what costs the most or "what everyone else is using".

Take your time and enjoy the journey...

Welcome to Chicago diving. Haigh is the place to start but you will want to be in the Lake before you know it. Agree with all the others, don't buy anything yet. We have specific needs for local diving (i.e. low vis, cold water dives) which are best addressed with experience, especially cold water experience.

Many of us are out at Haigh for the next few weeks before we head out on the lake. If interested, after getting certified, and looking to dive contact me, I will be more than happy to give you a heads up on the quarry and local diving. Have about 400 dives in Haigh and another 800 on the Lake. I do love our Lake. Also expect to be shocked, If you can handle the cold water, we have some great wrecks.

Welcome to Chicago diving. Haigh is the place to start but you will want to be in the Lake before you know it. Agree with all the others, don't buy anything yet. We have specific needs for local diving (i.e. low vis, cold water dives) which are best addressed with experience, especially cold water experience.

Many of us are out at Haigh for the next few weeks before we head out on the lake. If interested, after getting certified, and looking to dive contact me, I will be more than happy to give you a heads up on the quarry and local diving. Have about 400 dives in Haigh and another 800 on the Lake. I do love our Lake. Also expect to be shocked, If you can handle the cold water, we have some great wrecks.

Thanks, to you specifically, and everyone else that has posted! I should be having my certifying dives mid-May at Haigh, look forward to meeting anyone who happens to be there.

Re: cold water, that is something that I've been looking into and noticing that not all equipment is made equal on those terms. I think I'll be able to handle the cold water but I guess I'll have to wait and see as I've never used a wetsuit before while swimming. I was looking at wreck listings for the Lake yesterday and while I am enthusiastic to do a wreck dive, I know I'll have to wait until I get my wreck dive certification. I wouldn't mind diving out on Morgan Shoal just to see some of the Lake geography though. I feel this is all a little cart before the horse though. I still don't know exactly how I'll handle in deeper water than the pool we've been in.

I was a bit worried about diving in the Lake, probably because I was told that you should get a bit of experience doing local diving (e.g. in HQ) first, and I took that to mean "you should be an experienced diver because it's treacherous."

But it really does just mean exactly that. Get a bit of experience in cold fresh water. Haigh Quarry isn't bad preparation for the Lake. And if you get into diving at all, absolutely do try it--diving in the Lake is, like, real diving. I've got a couple of dives booked this summer already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom