Back on SB!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Had an account on here a few years ago - lost the info for it and also didn't have access to the email that I registered with, so I decided to start a new account! Still relatively new to diving, I have about 10 dives so far and I'm going to get AOW certified this summer (maybe a few other specialties as well... thinking about drysuit and wreck). I'm from NJ, so I'm looking forward to getting back to Dutch Springs soon :)

I came back here to kill boredom and learn new information, but also to find groups/buddies to dive with. My only diving buddy had to go and move to Florida and since I'm not solo certified, it's harder to dive now!

Thanks for reading!

Welcome back pathFinder90. My wife recognized that I love being in the water and diving, even though she doesn't even swim. Don't have anyone else who could be my dive buddy. I usually buddy with the instructors at the shops I work at now but before I was a dive master it was tough finding buddies.

Best bet is find a local dive shop with a health dive community and start making new buddies. Some will not take the sport seriously and fade away but hopefully your find at least one or two new dive buddies.

Hey, if your buddy moved to Florida that sounds like a good reason for a read trip to me. :)

Don't spend too much time here. Get out and dive!!! If you can afford it, get a drysuit. For where you are diving it will make a huge difference in how much you dive.

Thanks for the reply 888, I might check out the dives that the local shop offers every month. Last time I went, there were a few people without buddies that ended up pairing up.

Since I've pretty much decided not to buy a motorcycle this year, I think that frees up a few dollars that I can allocate to my scuba fund :) especially for a drysuit and the certification for it. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the cold, so it's either upgrade to a 7mm from my 5mm, or save up for the drysuit!

Dude, 5mm in new jersey? I thought it was as cold as diving Lake Ontario. I dive Lake Ontario with a 7mm full wetsuit then put a 7mm tunic over top of that. Plus 5mm gloves, hood and boots. If I could afford a drysuit I'd do it in a heart beat.

Well I'm a bit of a novice with about 10 dives under my belt with only 4 of them being in NJ, and they were all late summer dives and not too deep, so 5mm with 3mm boots, gloves, and a hood were fine, but left me wanting something a little thicker. Got my first real taste of how cold it can be at Dutch Springs in Pennsylvania, past the thermocline, and the wetsuit did nothing against the 50 degree water

This makes more sense. By august guys are diving with 3mm suits but the water gets as warm as 75F. I start diving in April and finish in October. Temperatures at depth are often around 50F. Coldest I can take in a 7mm with 7mm tunic is 45F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom