Hello everybody!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexiaM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm Alexandra. For the moment I am working in Luxembourg but I am seriously thinking of changing completely my life. As I am a diving passionate, I am planning to go for a DM internship and continue afterwords working as in this domain. I am still at the planning stage. Of course, I started looking for the offers, because since I will start everything from 0, I would like to find a place where I can do the DM but also work (idealy at the dive center) so I could afford to pay for it, have a place to stay and something to eat.

I have a PADI Rescue Diver Certificate and somewhere around 40-45 dives. I have started diving in Antalya, Turkey, during a vacation and I just knew that that's what I will want to do further in my life. After my first dive, I started imediately the Open Water Course. The Advance Diving Course I took it in Creta (at the absolutely awesome resort Creta Maris) and I think that after I met the people there I started really puting diving as a career plan. Also in Creta I did the Deep Diving and Search and Recovery Speciality. I dived for a period in the Black Sea as I originate from Romania and it was a completely different experience. The currents are far stronger than in the Mediteranean. Also it's darker (less clean also) and the fish and plant species are not very divers. Afterwards I went to Athens and I took advantage of that experience to do the Rescue Diver Course.

Of course, life sometimes is not as you planned. I came to Luxemburg to do my Masters and I remained here. I am working in a small Biotechnology Products selling company, as a Product Manager. I am a biochemist at the basis. But I know this is not what I want to do forever. I am not the person to be in an office 9 hours a day. I love the sea, I love nature and I adore diving. Since I am fast approaching my 30s, I am thinking that maybe now is the moment to go for my dream.

So here I am, on this forum, searching for information, suggestions, stories, and everything else that might help me in my new quest. Of course, if anybody knows or had any experience of starting working as a diver without being a DM and in the same time did his course, I would really like to know, where, how did that go and anything that might be useful.

Thanks a lot and I am happy to be a member of this community!

Alex

Welcome on board! It is a pleasure to have you. There are a lot of people who wish to be dive professionals just because they love to dive. There are dive professionals here who will tell you that pleasure diving and diving as a professional are two different animals and the love for one should not make you buy the other.

Whichever path you decide, I hope that you will stay in this board and grow with us as a diver.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Welcome to Scuba Board
Loads of very experienced people here to answer any diving question you care to ask.
Word of caution diving for fun is very different from doing it as a job.
Personally I stopped at Rescue, diving is my hobby, not my job.

Have fun and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

It's not only the diving itself, as in going under water and seeing fish :D. I don't want to become a Pro diver only because I like diving as this I can do anyway, being a DM or not. But it is the satisfaction of being able to show to other people this World and to teach them how to do it safe so they can get the best out of it. On one hand. On the other hand, since I am a biochemist, I would like to combine at some point diving with the research, because I believe that under water we might just be able to find answer to many questions about life. On top of that, I want to know more and do more in diving. I cannot really give an explanation for this, it's just that thing that you know you want to do.

Thanks to all for the welcome!

I'm Alexandra. For the moment I am working in Luxembourg but I am seriously thinking of changing completely my life. As I am a diving passionate, I am planning to go for a DM internship and continue afterwords working as in this domain. I am still at the planning stage. Of course, I started looking for the offers, because since I will start everything from 0, I would like to find a place where I can do the DM but also work (idealy at the dive center) so I could afford to pay for it, have a place to stay and something to eat.

Hi Alex :)

It’s great to hear you want to make your diving dream a reality! Living the diving dream is a daily joy for PADI professionals the world over, and at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures’ premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre, we absolutely do!

Learn to Dive - PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre on Gaya Island | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

I’m afraid that you won’t find many places, if any, which will provide you the training to become a professional diver and be an employee with such benefits as free accommodation.
Your post has a tone of urgency, but you should take your time and not rush your professional dive education because you might become overwhelmed. Enjoy your journey and your dream will start to take shape!
I myself planned, after only a handful of dives, to become a professional diver and in about a year I left for Borneo and completed an internship with Downbelow. Now, a couple of years later, I am a PADI IDC Staff Instructor and part of the Go PRO team who assist our resident Platinum PADI Course Director Richard Swann to conduct the 5 Instructor Development Courses (IDC) that run every year.

PADI IDC | IDC Asia

The Go PRO internships are more than just the high standard of quality dive training that our Go PRO team delivers, it includes ‘real diving’ to increase the candidates’ experience. To lead the dive requires unwavering confidence to supervise and control any dive situation. The dive training you receive will be tested in real dive situations under the guidance and supervision of our of our highly experienced PADI professionals at our Gaya Island beach house!

Professional Scuba Instructor Internship in Sabah, Borneo | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Once you’ve browsed through the link above, you’ll find that our internship programs, which can be catered to suit your individual criteria, are fully inclusive for you to have every chance of succeeding in living your dive dream!

For daily updates follow our various blogs and social media communities to see what we get up to everyday!

Blogs:
News | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!
News & Events | IDC Asia
Instructor Development Blog | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest
Tumblr: http://divedownbelow.tumblr.com

Any decision to move forward with your dive education is no mistake and never too late, Alex! Enjoy your dream! :)

---------- Post added July 11th, 2014 at 12:07 PM ----------

Back
Top Bottom