I want to do my DM training in the US! Anyone know Where is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Guys,:blinking:
Ive been searching the internet but there is just SO many websites and it is all a bit overwhelming. I have just returned to the UK after travelling South, Central America, Mexico and the USA. I did some amazing dives and have now decided i want to turn my hobby into a carear!! Ultimately i love the states, i have been every year for the last 10 or so, I have family and friends out there and would eventually love too live there. So for me it makes sense to do my DM course there and then try and find a job (not in any rush)
Does anyone know a good place, more importantly a good dive shop to do my DM training with.
Ive looked at Hawaii, Malibu, Bahammas, and Califorina. I have no restrictions, I live in the UK and can just get a flight anywhere (Lets just say im a professional traveller) and am looking to start end of September.
Would LOVE some advice and to get the ball rolling to start my DM training and my Scuba future.
I am an Advanced diver, so either i will need to start with the Resuce course, or alternatively i can complete it before i come. I have done 31 dives.

Thanks
Sarah

Hi Sarah, I'm in a similar position so I'll monitor the info coming back here if that's OK. I am considering a dive career after 20 years working as an environmental water professional and want to find out who has the best reputation for DM training. I was told that UK training is a good place start a career in diving, but I just can't face diving ever again in cold grey waters :(

Bahamas are expensive living. Also it's a UK Crown Colony - not the US. Not sure if that would be easier for you in terms of relocation. Short, inexpensive flights to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale from there on BahamasAir also.

There's a lot of dive training in South Florida. And it's reasonable to live there if you don't want to be waterfront. Look for an operator on the SE coast - maybe from Ft. Lauderdale north - West Palm, Pompano Beach, Jupiter, Boynton Beach etc. Or the Keys. I know next to nothing about dive training in South Florida except that it's pretty popular. Or check out some of the shops in the Keys. Key Largo and Marathon are options with dive operators/schools. Rainbow Reef has a training academy and a good reputation from what I've read. Florida's West Coast is almost all boat diving since it's too shallow off-shore generally. If it's of interest spend time in Cave Country farther north also pursuing cave/cavern certification later.

Go here: PADI | The Way the World Learns to Dive® type in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa or Florida Keys and look for the the GoPro designations below their name. That should narrow the list.

Moving to California which I'm familiar with as it's our closest ocean. I have not heard of any exceptional diving off Malibu. Near Ventura or farther north in Santa Barbara. Or up to Monterey which is fabulous because of the Kelp Forest just offshore - it's a U.S. National Marine Sanctuary.

California diving is always cold - 7MM wetsuit or drysuit cold. There is a lot of dive training in Southern California. Lots of employment opportunities but in SoCal DM's almost always stay on the boat so you're not going to be leading dives generally. Most SoCal locals are pretty self-reliant - many bring their own tanks etc and just use the boat as a ride to the dive site.

San Diego is especially nice - both for diving and living. Diving in the kelp at LaJolla Cove or Point Loma is excellent. There may be 100's of divers at LaJolla Shores taking classes summer weekends - sometimes it's hard to find parking. At the Cove after about 7AM - forget it....lol.

Hawaii is another option but it's remote from the mainland so everything costs a lot more. My personal opinion is that their focus is more about tourist diving over training dive professionals. Most of the Maui shops don't even offer much past Advanced. Of the 4-5 most popular shops there - only Lahaina Divers advertises DM on their website. It's more of a consumer-based dive tour market there. Jack's Diving Locker on Kona (Big Island) offers a full-range of programs. I can't actually find a shop on Kauai that offers DM - I know almost all of them. On the less populated Hawaiian Islands many operators work from their boat/office near the marina. So they don't have training facilities/programs. Jobs are in pretty high demand there so a lot of DM's are actually Instructors willing to work at a lower level. Some might even get paid - IDK... Maybe check Oahu - I don't dive there.

It's really the instructor and not the place though IMO. Maybe someone here can recommend theirs. I would ask in our regional forums where you are interested. You need more dives also - 40 to start and 60 to get the DM card. Plus as you mentioned - Rescue.
PADI Rescue Divers who are at least 18 years old may enroll in the PADI Divemaster course. You also need to have:

Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months.
A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
At least 40 logged dives to begin the course and 60 dives to earn certification.

I've traveled this country pretty extensively and I can say without a doubt south Florida will have the most options with the best cost of living. If cost is not a deciding factor then (like diversteve mentioned) SoCal would be a very beautiful and fun place to continue training. Ironically, I am looking to leave the states for a few months in order to go pro.

I HIGHLY recommend Rainbow Reef Dive Center/Rainbow Reef Career Development Center in Key Largo, FL. They train more instructors than anyone and run a quality dive operation. We have been their customers for the past 12 years!

www.keysidc.com
www.rainbowreef.us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In the Key Largo area you also have Horizon and Ocean Divers just to name two.

Nice thing about the Keys is that they dive year around. You can do 4 dives a day if you want.

It makes sense to train in an area that you might want to work in. That way your are making some contacts and getting to know the area while training.

If I were going that route, I would personally choose an operator here in California rather than Florida or Hawaii. Why? Because dive conditions are more challenging here and you will deal with a wider variety of issues than just doing your training in the tropics or subtropics. Of course that's just my personal opinion... with it and $5.00 I think you can still get a cup of "coffee" at Starbucks (not that I'd know)

Last edited:
You should become a DM in the same conditions that you plan to work in.​
your UK conditions are challenging enough that if you DM there, you could work most places.

you consider yourself an advanced diver with 31 dives? I felt like I was no longer a beginner after a couple of hundred dives.

And I agree with DrBill.

all the best on your goals.

Hey Sarah and Rob,

I've just done exactly what you are looking to do, no doubt Hawaii and Florida have the better diving but I ended up going for California on price and couldn't be happier with my decision.

I got certified (or should I say, will be certified at the end of the week) for around £1000 including 6 weeks accommodation and have gone from 30 to 75 dives in the process. Water is a bit colder but nothing a good 7mm wetsuit can't handle, certainly better than Portsmouth where I was diving.

I would generally avoid the large outfits as my opinion is they can be a bit of a meat grinder concentrated on churning the students through with no ongoing support. I only speak from my own opinion though.

Realistically, divemaster isn't going to be the passport to instant employment and instructor is the long term goal along with the specialties you'll need but if you can obtain DM (the most time intensive) for a reasonable price, the rest can be done wherever you hang your hat.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more info about what being a California DM intern is like and I can certainly help you out with any specific questions.

Jp

Back
Top Bottom