Hello all :) welcome to my world!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbly noob

Registered
Reaction score
Well ... I am one of those ... :cool2: a new guy in town ...
51 years old, Parisian, fully 115% expatriate since 06/1990, I have been all over the world and now living in China since 09/2004.

I am just about to make a U-turn back to my first love which was diving when 11 years old.
I have -00 cert whatsoever, and I will need to find a suitable centre to work them all.
First goal first, sounds like becoming MSDT + Ultimate goal the ROS. :balloons:

GEARS:
Being a computer, gizmo and gadgets freak, I love them all.
I have been browsing websites and DiveShops over the Net, I am like a kid during Christmas time.
Also living in China, majority of good are much cheaper here comparing to the West... but and yes, I do know how crappy some can be here.

I have so many questions..... like is it better to buy a full package-set gears from one specific brand or making it my own by buying best items from best Brands specific qualifications?.....

COMPUTERS:
I have a bad vision for I can't see much from nearside, I do need glasses to read a book or my computer screen for example, making watches impossible to read without eye glasses. I do understand that Masks can be fitted for eyes corrections.
That said I am interested in buying a computer wrist for I am thinking that screens are larger making it easier to read it..
Reading the forum it sounds that "Shearwater Petrel" is a pretty good one, but and then the "Mares Icon HD net" as well as the "SCUBAPRO GALILEO LUNA" are pretty good looking. I need to compare them.
I must get the largest screen, I do not care if people find it bulky, ugly, ....
GPS is a must to have.

BCD:
Ho my good ... OK I need the utter most padded one for I want to feel like seating in a Cadillac; or better, a Lincoln Mark-V.
Better feeling comfortable if doing it for a living, right?
Some come with Air some don't? Then the blade ...
I like the one that have dual purpose, I mean taking them a part for light-version diving.

FINS:
I want them all! (no I am not a drinker)
X-traLong ones for Fast & the Furious but some are reporting cramps; short ones for quick turns but demanding more effort to go faster.
I found those very interesting, or this one, or those, but are they really making a difference? ??!

MASKS:
I am guessing that a Full Face Mask is the best option. Comfort and safety are my priorities.
Some even come with internal WiFi or Cable Info messages located on the bottom corner.

SUITS:
I am going for a 5mn suit, but is it too much for tropical water?
I hate cold, plus it sucks lots of energy to warm-up the body and then to keeping it warm, so I am guessing that the 5mn would be on the safe side (???)

Well... I have been so far quietly, silently reading and extensively your pros and cons, your experiences.
I sought that it was the right time to break it out, for I need to make serious, expensive, committed decisions real soon.

My point is that I can either be starting with a set of low-end cheap gears; and then, when finally certified getting equipped all over again with pro style --or-- going right away with pro gears, which might make it more evident, more comfortable to learn with as well as saving on investment (besides the fact that of having to travel with two set of gears later on) ...

Cheese and Wine!

Last edited:
Actually, and thinking of it, what I have just down here above is to put on paper what I have been mumbling about for days loooool
Sorry for the long and extend open sought made to clear my mind.
OK ---> back to my investigations :)

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 01:00 AM ----------

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 07:08 PM ----------

Don't we love doing business in China :)

Went to a shop yesterday, tried on a 3mn suit,Scubapro Thermal TEC size RL, the guy kept saying, "this is prrrrrfect".......
I know that trying a suit in a shop where it is +25 degree is not advisable for it does feel uncomfortable, and I did feel very-very uncomfortable... So freaking tight...
When back home, and after serious measurements, I am definitely XXL, might even be an XXXL actually.
But the guys didn't care a bit, he would have been happy to sale whatever he had on hand...

This one goes here for 1204RMB over the internet which is 195USD
(twice that price in the shop and after discount)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom