Family Vacation for Divers and Non-Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My family and I usually go the cruise route for vacations around the Caribbean but I am looking for suggestions for places we can fly to and stay. I love diving but the rest of my family does not. Does anyone have any suggestions of places we can fly to that will allow me to enjoy boat and shore dives and my family can enjoy non water-based activities (and not just laying out on a beach).

Thanks in advance.

I like the Mayan riviera in Mexico. Lots of cool/interesting/fun things to do like Mayan ruins, adventure tours, beaches and Xel Ha which is like a very expansive natural play park. For diving you've got the cenotes, decent reefs and Cozumel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to diving and have done most of mine in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea in Florida. You can beach dive or choose from a bunch of boats to take you out to the reefs and wrecks. Gold Coast Scuba has a meetup account where you can find a dive buddy or join them for diving. Plenty of attractions within driving distance for the rest of the family.

With the shore dive requirement it's a short list. Add non-water based activities and it's even shorter.
I believe these are ranked most to least to do in both categories.

Curacao - Curacao Travel- Caribbean, Curacao, Dutch Caribbean
Grand Cayman - Cayman Islands Tourism, Official | Cayman Islands
St. Croix - Home | US Virgin Islands

Maybe Aruba also - I haven't been there. Diving is not a major focus there from what I've read.

Grand Cayman is going to be the most expensive of the three, I've read St. Croix isn't cheap either - haven't been there either.

Not the Caribbean but Maui's probably perfect for both groups.

I second the recommendation for the Riviera Maya. The scenery is gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful. There is a lot of interesting history and natural history, and a well-developed tourist industry. The reef diving (depending on location) can be lovely, and the cenotes are unique, and offer both diving and swimming/snorkeling opportunities. And the prices can be quite reasonable.

It depends on what your family enjoys. Virgin Gorda in the BVIs has nice top side and decent but not great diving. Dominica, the nature island, has good diving and some marvelous but largely nature based activities. Curaçao, is interestng. Very good diving and decent topside if desert island sort of thing. Grand Turk is an interesting island with very good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom