Real noobie from Oahu!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shooter26

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone, I'm Chris from Oahu, Hawaii. I caught the bug recently after going SNUBA diving off the Big Island. I am now registered to attend an 11 week Dive Master Course. Please rate the gears I will be getting. Please be honest about your opinions.

Apeks Black Ice BCD,
Legend LX regulator,
Legend octopus,
Suunto Cobra 3 Computer,
X Shot fins,
Aqua Lung MicroMask,
Suunto SK7 Compass,
Aqua Lung AquaFlex wetsuit.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Chris

Last edited:
You will be satisfied with the Legend LX regs - they were my go to regs until I found the aqualung micron (I have a very small mouth now even smaller after recent jaw surgery) - one brand you shouldnt have problems with repairs anywhere in the world.

Of course others will have their own opinions and where and what type of diving you do will come into play. Enjoy :)

I caught the bug recently after going SNUBA diving off the Big Island. I am now registered to attend an 11 week Dive Master Course.

Seriously?

Please rate the gears I will be getting. Please be honest about your opinions.

Apeks Black Ice BCD, [No, just no. Go see Kaimana Divers about getting a nice basic Oxycheq BP&W rig]
Legend LX regulator, [Sure, whatever you like...I prefer Atomic, but this reg works fine]
Legend octopus, [See last comment--consider putting the octo on a 22" hose and necklace, with the primary 2nd stage regulator on a 5'-7' hose...you'll thank me later]
Suunto Cobra 3 Computer, [Ugh, no. If you want to go cheap, a Hollis DG03; if you want to go nice, Shearwater Petrel...may be able to hook you up with a local deal on a new Petrel]
X Shot fins, [Take these and burn them. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. I know Kaimana has some nice jet fins on sale now, with spring straps already installed...Aarons and others probably do too]
Aqua Lung MicroMask, [whatever fits your face and you like...consider an Atomic Frameless, but whatever you get be positive it fits you well]
Suunto SK7 Compass,[Good choice - get a DeepSea Supply boot for this so you can mount it on your arm easily]
Aqua Lung AquaFlex wetsuit. [Wetsuit is pretty irrelevant out here - it's rarely that cold and the lava rocks and strong UV rays in HI will eat them...get one that fits and is warm enough for you, but go cheap...they're all junk anyway. XCEL seems to be a popular local brand and there's an outlet up in Haleiwa that has a good selection and occasional factory cosmetic seconds for very low prices.

Chris
Just my .02 here, but forget the 11 week DM course. Get certified and dive!!! I see way to many zero to hero divers. You need lots of dives to gain experience. Worry about the DM later after a few hundred dives.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 05:30 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Seriously?
A little bit of a background, I am going through the certification due to the fact that I am going to be using my GI Bill as an Active Duty Soldier. The school are providing the gears listed above as the ones that they are giving use to keep to help us get in the water after the course is complete. After the 11 weeks are done, but we still do not have all the PADI Dive requirements, the Dive shop/School will still have their fleet of boats available for us to hitch a ride to if we desire. The reason I am asking for feedbacks on my gears are due to the fact that we have the option to upgrade or downgrade the gears before they get wet. Hope this clears things up.

Chris

Let me guess, Island Divers is giving you the full zero to hero package in exchange for a ton of money from your GI bill? Yeah, seen that before. They're your benefits, and if you're not going to use them for an actual education, sure, what the Hell, go diving with em.

Just be aware the only reason that stuff commands the prices that are labeled on them is because the government is picking up the tab - the market would never price such generic gear like that, because nobody'd buy that stuff with their own money for such high prices.

Interesting posts so far. I have found that the gear you buy initially is not what you actually end up with. That's simply because right now someone is telling you what you need without knowing how you will dive. My advice: keep it simple. Aqualung makes good regulators; I've got a Titan LX that's still going after many years, although it's now a back-up to a back-up. As far as I am concerned, though, Atomic regs are the best, and the best deal is the B2. They breathe well at depth, I have no problems at 180 feet. I'd go with an Atomic mask as well. As for fins, if you are going to be a DM, you are going to work your ass off, and sometimes you will have to tow other divers. Get some fins that will last and have plenty of power. ScubaPro Jets are good as are OMS Slipstreams.. Spring straps are a must. As far as a BC, my recommendation is either a backplate and wing, or a Dive Rite Transpac. Be aware, however, that if you fully inflate a back inflation BC at the surface, it WILL put you face down in the water.

Finally, a word about the 11 week DM course. It is fine if you want to do it, but as a DM you are going to work your ass off for very little money. You may do it in a great location, but not having any money is a real drag. Unless you enjoy poverty you are going to have to have another job.

Personally I don't like a program that starts off by having you buy your own gear before you actually do some dives. You may find that what you purchase initially from a shop does not meet your personal needs once you start doing the dives. I think it is better to start with rental gear and make your decisions through experience. With that said I can't really comment on the gear provided to you because I've never used any of it myself. My impression from others is that the Aqualung gear will be fine. Not sure about the BCD though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom