New OW looking for Divemaster internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm a 27 y.o. Italian guy living in the Netherlands for my chemistry Ph.D., newly PADI Open Water certified here and planning to become Advanced OW in the next couple of weeks in southern Italy. I got hooked after diving in María la Gorda, Cuba, for a week this summer. Just wanted to say hi and ask those of you guys in the field for some suggestions on where to find good Divemaster internships! Now that I don't have fixed job guilts is the time to explore diving at a more committed level. I speak fluently Italian, English, Spanish and French and have a good level of Dutch (living here for almost 4 years now).

Cheers!
Elio

I'm jealous, wish Americans could go to Cuba. On topic: I hear Utila is awesome, cheap and would be a lot of fun for a young, Italian dude.

Hi Brandon! I read your intro and was suggested by the other folks to read your post (get me out of my office!, or something on those lines) yesterday in the chat!

Americans can go to Cuba, only they have to hop through other countries, like Canada or Mexico.. I met various Americans while there, the only serious thing is you guys need to bring plenty of cash (not USD! converted into CAD, for example) and have people to contact in case you get yourself into money trouble.. I heard about a couple who lost their only credit card, they really were in serious trouble as money does not circulate easily from the US to Cuba. The others could still enjoy their time there, with just a bit of extra organization. The time shift you experience there is very peculiar.

I'm in a similar situation as you are, I guess... did you make up your mind on what to do to get out of that office? =) My situation is different in that I won't have IT work through the Internet, I can just count on a few months off if it's cheap enough (6 months for 3000$ while working would be fine).. I'm taking this time both to explore how much I like diving, possibly at a pro level and taking it further from there, and on the other hand to have time off for a possible career switch, in case I decide I don't want to continue as a PADI pro. I also plan to travel a few more months after or before diving.

About Utila, it looks very attractive! What doesn't convince me is the time schedule: 2-4 weeks for a Divemaster course looks a bit short, but maybe it's just fine. Is it too much to ask to also have accommodation included in the internship fees? They seem to only offer the first few nights. Where did you hear good stuff about Utila, anyways? I could definitely use some help to figure things out!

Elio,

I am definitely going to look more closely at Cuba now, I guess I was just deterred by the overall "forget about it" attitude towards traveling there. I have a couple military acquaintances who have told me of its amazing beauty.

I haven't made any moves just yet. I am working for a fantastic company (that pays pretty well) so right now I don't mind too much sticking to the grind. This company has recently announced they are relocating so I will take that opportunity to make the change I am looking for. I have a feeling I will be able to use my IT skills in one way or another to make my life more flexible. I have been doing freelance web development for years so I may transition into that. Or maybe I'll just move somewhere more conducive to the outdoor sports I love! I do love travel though, so I need to find a way to achieve a more proportionate work/life balance.

Utila has come up many times in my inquiries regarding continuing my diving education. Take a look through my history on here. I also know a couple divers who have told me Utila is a perfect balance of excellent diving, cheap living, great instructors and beautiful women :eyebrow: (This is apparently what sets Utila apart from Roatan, Utila will have a night life)

Depending on when you want to do this I may be interested in tagging along. I'm only an OW myself but want to continue my education sooner rather than later for sure.

Sounds like Aruba might be a great match for you! Since it was started as Dutch colony, all the official stuff is still in Dutch, but pretty much everyone there speaks English, Spanish, or all 3.

Cuba diving, sounds great. I am first generation Cuban American -- I can only imagine what diving would be like in Cuba.

Here you guys can find or ask plenty of tips about going to Cuba for US citizens: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-cuba

Aruba, Mexico, Honduras, anything would be a possibility for me at this moment in time. I'm mostly looking for reports of excellent experiences in places where I would know that I wouldn't be disappointed. Then, of course, I will have to make a choice; for example, I'm extremely attracted to slow travelling southern Africa (South Africa to Kenya), so a place in the vicinity would be cute, but even then, I'm also attracted to Central and South America or to South East Asia for a longer period, so who knows. The plan for now is that I want to explore diving up to the basic pro level and see what I want to do once there, and also travel for a while. Then, maybe I'm hooked to diving and I'll take it even further, who knows. I'm trying to think just a few things at a time.

Timewise I would love to get started next year. As far as the exact period goes, I still have to figure that out, as I'm in the last stages of a Ph.D. at the moment and want to finish that first. What about you, Brandon, do you already know when you'll be free?

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm a 27 y.o. Italian guy living in the Netherlands for my chemistry Ph.D., newly PADI Open Water certified here and planning to become Advanced OW in the next couple of weeks in southern Italy. I got hooked after diving in María la Gorda, Cuba, for a week this summer. Just wanted to say hi and ask those of you guys in the field for some suggestions on where to find good Divemaster internships! Now that I don't have fixed job guilts is the time to explore diving at a more committed level. I speak fluently Italian, English, Spanish and French and have a good level of Dutch (living here for almost 4 years now).

Cheers!
Elio

Hi Elio :)

Your command of several languages, particularly widely spoken ones, already makes you very valuable to the dive industry.

Absolutely choose to do an internship for your professional dive education! Be very sure that you are embarking on an internship that gives you plenty of time to learn at your own pace.
I am biased in that I completed a 3-month internship in Borneo, although it is a glimpse of what the dive lifestyle is truly like to live, you will learn so much more once you start working.

PADI IDC Course Borneo | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia

Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures in Borneo is where I completed my professional dive internship and I stayed on as an Instructor and developed in the past couple years to qualify as IDC Staff.
Go PRO internship programs at our Gaya Island PADI 5 Star IDC Centre is not a simulated form of diving because it’s controlled, so at every opportunity a candidate will experience real dive activities with real dive clients. Don’t worry; one of our own experienced PADI professionals will always be present to supervise.

1 Month GoPro PADI Divemaster Internship Borneo, Malaysia | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia

A few PADI Instructor Trainers are solely responsible for the dive education of our Go PRO interns as they have the experience and vast knowledge to impart on future dive professionals. A member of this GoPRO team will become a mentor to a particular intern, however our entire team of PADI professionals will give feedback for interns’ to improve their abilities and confidence.

Get To Know Our GoPro Staff Team | IDC Asia

As I mentioned earlier, take your time to enjoy the journey to become a Pro diver and take every opportunity to enhance your professional dive education!

Good luck, Elio!

One of the very best places in the world to dive is Cozumel, Mexico. Recently Blue Magic Scuba (Cozumel Diving, Cozumel Scuba Diving, Cozumel Diving Packages, Lessons, Snorkeling, Blue Magic Scuba) has started a divemaster internship program with one of PADI's best course directors, Jim Hutchinson. Jim and Blue Magic believe that Cozumel, which offers World Class diving is indeed the best place for our brand of World Class Training.

Because of Cozumel's great diving, Blue Magic's excellent teaching levels (they are a PADI 5 Starr IDC center) and the closeness to the USA and all ammenities it is my ( biased) opinion that Cozumel is the BEST>

More information on the divemaster internship program can be found here : The best divemaster internship program in Cozumel and the Caribbean

Please note: shameless promotion on my part, i am a principal with Blue Magic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom