Well hello from Nor Cal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Menk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody!

After an awesome intro dive on vacation 15 years ago (Straits of Tiran, Egypt), and a move from NYC to the bay area, I've finally got the time and resources to pursuing diving.

Did my open water 2 weeks ago in Monterey, and I'm extremely eager to go again.

I'm especially interested GUE/DIR, primarily as a way to become an excellent rec diver.
I'm not really in a rush to do actual tech diving, but love the idea of laying the foundations for it and pursuing a rational and minimalist approach to equipment and procedure.
To me, fine tuning skills and getting squared away seems almost as much fun a challenge as just chilling out down there and seeing all those cool critters.

Hope to take GUE fundamentals after I've done a bit more diving, but currently preparing for it (freestyle laps and breath holding practice, generally getting in better shape, practicing frogs, helicopters and reverse swimming).

Currently in that awkward stage between renting the stuff I need just to get back in the water, and buying the stuff that I will be using in the longterm, so I'm doing lots of reading.

Psyched to be here!

Welcome to the board!

Monterey is a good place to be a GUE diver, there are lots of them there.
Get a BP/W, long hose, bungeed second, and the rest of the basic gear first and start diving it. You're going to need it anyway right? so may as well just get it now and start using it.
Check out BAUE (Bay Area Underwater Explorers). They are pretty prominent in the Bay Area dive scene.
They will also be able to help you and guide you so you'll know what you need for your initial setup.

Welcome!

And what Eric said.

This is a GREAT place to be a diver, as the diving both challenging and rewarding and the dive community is insanely supportive. Don't worry about being shunned or anything for being a newbie. We ALL were once. Just tell folks you're going to be diving with that you're new and give them an honest assessment of your current diving skills and comfort level. They'll be generous with advice and mentoring.

Also, look into joining a local dive club to make it easier to meet dive buddies.

thanks guys, I will definitely contact BAUE!
I'm prepared for a little skepticism/saltiness as a newb, especially before I've completed fundamentals... seems natural in a sport where reliance on others can be so crucial.
But I'm trying to approach this with as little ego as possible.

Equipment is a bit tricky right now, as you can see:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...orcal-diver-straight-drysuit.html#post7223932

I'm new to this site and I'm hoping to get some real online feed on products, how-to's, and suggestions from those who are not sales folks. I receive my OWD & Nitrox Cert about 8 months ago. I've done some nice dives in FL but I am looking forward to being a local in the cold waters- Monterey area. I now have a dry suit that I need to get used to to dive in Monterey / Carmel area- so that means perfecting my buoyancy. Anywho...I'm looking forward to exploring this site and learning new helpful tricks, tips and suggestions that will enhance my diving skills as I move forward with working on my Advance Open Water cert.

Have a great day,
Chef Mali

Welcome ChefMali.

I highly recommend that you take a class here. Diving here is NOTHING like diving in Florida.

How about a drysuit class?

thanks guys, I will definitely contact BAUE!
I'm prepared for a little skepticism/saltiness as a newb, especially before I've completed fundamentals... seems natural in a sport where reliance on others can be so crucial.
But I'm trying to approach this with as little ego as possible.

Equipment is a bit tricky right now, as you can see:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...orcal-diver-straight-drysuit.html#post7223932
Like Fisheater said, you should look into local clubs to start.
Check out The North Coast Divers
http://www.northcoastdivers.org

With BAUE or any other GUE/DIR based group, as far as I know there isn't any hazing, I sure would hope not. I wouldn't worry too much about saltiness or skepticism. If somebody gives you any grief for being a newbie and not knowing stuff I would drop them like a bad habit and move on.
As far as ego, it's worthless in diving, a completely useless state of mind.
It closes off the brain and prevents any further learning and development.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom