Downunder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rogertk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning trip to New Zealand in Jan(tho' s/w flexible--could be Feb.) Looking to do 1 week Live Aboard in that part of world. Had thght of Great Barrier Reef but I read Jan start of cyclone season--and NZ diving pretty cold (?) Any suggestions about venues, liveaboards? (We're on other side of planet; furthest we ever went was Fiji.) Your input greatly appreciated.
Roger

Hi Roger and welcome to the forum. I'm based in the Northland, NZ near Tutukaka which is the spot from which all the diving at the Poor Knights islands is done. The Poor Knights are a marine reserve located 12 miles offshore. They are arguably the best reef diving in NZ. The Northland is the warmest part of NZ and January/February is our warmest time of year. You can expect water temperatures of 20 - 22 degrees C and visibility of 10 - 25 metres, sometimes greater.

The underwater environment is temperate, but we have tropical visitors in the summer. I have seen sharks, dolphins, seals and turtles at the Poor Knights, but none of these are guaranteed. It's a question of being in the right place at the right time.

In the same area, there are the wrecks of the HMNZS Waikato and the HMNZS Tui. I have dived the Waikato numerous times, it is well worth doing although visibility can be variable because it is located inshore.

Further north is the wreck of the HMNZS Canterbury, further north again is the wreck of the Rainbow Warrior, both great dives.

Surprisingly, there is limited diving infrastructure in NZ.

For a Poor Knights liveaboard, I would recommend Poor Knights Islands Scuba Diving Liveaboard dive New Zealand
They run a small, friendly liveaboard. It's not a luxury boat, but this is more than made up for by good service and food. Early booking is probably required, especially in the summer.

Alternatively, Yukon Dive - Diving the Poor Knights, Tutukaka, Northland, New Zealand have just taken ownership of another liveaboard and I assume will be, or are already running trips.

Dive Poor Knights Islands. Diving Poor Knights Islands and shipwrecks HMNZS Tui and Waikato with Dive! Tutukaka New Zealand. / Dive! Tutukaka, Poor Knights Diving run day trips to the Poor Knights. They are a big outfit and provide a good PADI resort style service.

For the northern wrecks I mentioned, I would recommend Diving in New Zealand, Scuba Diving NZ ? Paihia Dive

I have no financial involvement with any of these operators, but know most of them pretty well.

There is good diving in other parts of New Zealand, but I have no experience of this.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks! Perhaps dumb question--but can you compare GBR to NZ diving (would prob. be Jan.)
Roger

Thanks! Perhaps dumb question--but can you compare GBR to NZ diving (would prob. be Jan.)
Roger

no problem. i've done two trips to the GBR recently. in short, i would recommend the GBR over my backyard. the main reason being that it's tropical diving and i like being warm! the comparison is essentially temperate versus tropical seas, kelp forests versus coral reefs.

having said that, a couple of things to note about the GBR. the reef is not in the best of shape, even offshore. environmental damage has had an effect. i'm sure most tourists think the GBR is amazing, but seasoned divers will realise that things are not quite right. also, australia is a very expensive country to visit and the diving very much reflects this.

if you are keen on australia, i can highly recommend Cairns Liveaboard Scuba Diving - Mike Ball Dive Expeditions Mike Ball Dive Expeditions
look to getting to the coral sea/osprey reef, it really is pristine.

i can't comment on the GBR in january as i haven't been at that time of year, but there is much more information available on diving in aussie than NZ.

Thanks again. Yes, we do want tropical, Problem with GBR is rough weather in Jan. Any thgts of other dive (we'd prob do live aboard but not essential) venues your side of planet? (We do want to combine with trip to NZ.)
Roger

I see your dilemma. Tropical in Australia means the GBR as discussed or Ningaloo Reef on the other side of the country. Ningaloo is famous for whale sharks, but you are visiting at the wrong time of year. The waters in southern parts of Australia are surprisingly cool.

PNG, Fiji and some of the other Pacific islands are worth considering. I've dived one spot in Fiji only, so can't give any specific advice.

If you are visiting NZ anyway and especially if coming to the Northland, I would recommend a day or two day boat diving or a two day liveaboard at the Poor Knights.

Thanks. We did Fiji 2-3 years ago. Wonder about PNG; no info--would need to check out what currents like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom