Another Hoosier Checking In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Been a member of this board for several years and never really had much to say. Still don't have much to say but thought I'd at least introduce myself. I'm in the southern part of the state near Madison, IN. I usually go on one big diving vacation a year but would really love to spend more time in the water than one week a year. I have my own gear and would love to find some local or short day drive locations to keep them fins wet!

Welcome! I'm also in southern Indiana but on the west side of the state.

There is a small group of divers affiliated with Fun Time Scuba in Brazil, IN that does dives in area quarries. Check their Facebook page for upcoming trips. There is actually one this Friday, October 3 to Mermet Springs in Vienna, IL.

Be sure to check out Dream Lake which isn't very far from you. There is also Gilboa Quarry near Findlay, OH which is a great place to dive. To your south is Mermet near Paducah and Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort in Hopkinsville, KY. All excellent opportunities for day dive trips. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Indiana has France Park in Logansport. I have not been there but heard excellent thugs. I believe there is a scavenger hunt there on Saturday.

Again, welcome and happy diving. We Hoosiers may not have oceans, but we have a pretty good selection of good diving within a few hours' drive!

Thanks for the suggestions! I was a day away from trying Pennyroyal a couple weeks ago. At the last minute fellow diver had to back out. After diving in some very scenic places I'm afraid that quarry or even Midwest diving may be disappointing. However, a scavenger hunt sounds like a really cool idea and it would have to be a lot of fun! Unfortunately, or not - I'm going to be in Myrtle Beach for the week. Going to do a dive with Coastal Scuba one day. Rest of it is just sit on the beach with a cold one in hand and let my mind turn to mush. :)

If you ever find yourself still wanting to dive Pennyroyal, let me know. As long as I am not working (the real job) or teaching at my LDS, I'm usually down there most weekends during the warmer months. I have about 700 dives there & would be honored to show you around.

Welcome! Like previously stated, there is some decent diving to be had within a day's drive from you. Be sure to head up and blow some bubbles on the amazing shipwrecks in the Great Lakes! Where do you like to go when you travel to dive?

Hombre,

I was born down river at the southern most point of Indiana on a hill over looking the Ohio River. However, it must be noted I was only born there because it was necessary to be near my mother at birth for I am a true blue Californian at heart.

I welcome you into the fraternity of those who enjoy and feel at home in the underwater world as I have for almost 70 years.

If I can be of assistance in providing advice or guidance your future diving activities fell free to send a PM.

Cheers from a hill top on Californian's central coast over looking the blue Pacific Ocean,

SDM

Tammy - careful what you offer cause I may just take you up on it! I'll keep you in mind next summer when the waters warm up again. Thanks!

Dive Right In - I love the Great Lakes, especially Superior! I would love to do some shipwreck dives on any of the Lakes. I'll definitely have to get a warmer suit than my 3mil shorty! I enjoying diving in the Caribbean quite a bit. I've done some drift dives in Cozumel were real pretty but I think my favorite has to be either the Cenotes in Mexico or the spring water cavern dives in Florida. Not much in sea life but it is the clearest water I have ever been in. I'm a sucker for caves too... :)

Sam - I would love to make it out to California to do some diving! Something that is at the top of my bucket list is to swim with Great Whites (in a cage is completely ok with me!). I've done open water dives with 12-13' bull sharks and 14-15' tiger sharks. Need to add the that GW to round out my top 3 sharks! Ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom