New Diver looking to get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lola45

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I have spent my whole life on and around the water canoeing, kayaking and sailing and now I want to learn to dive. I have been looking into how to get certified and see that I can do the classroom section on line but would like to hear from someone who has taken the on line course and their experience with it. I like taking classes on line but the little I could see of this course seemed pretty dated. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this on line course? I'm headed to Hawaii in December so if I can get the classroom part done now I could do the dives while there. And the whole time I'll be thinking of the Maine December and January weather that I'm missing out on.

Do the PADI class - 95% of all the shops in Hawaii are PADI so it will make completing your certification much simpler. I'm not PADI so have no input on their online class.

You'll find referral shop recommendations (including mine) in our Hawaii forum. Hawai'i

I can do the classroom section on line but would like to hear from someone who has taken the on line course and their experience with it. I like taking classes on line but the little I could see of this course seemed pretty dated. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this on line course? QUOTE]

I took the PADI OW e-learning class in January of this year and was really impressed. I am an instructor by profession and have to generate on-line learning quite frequently and, IMO, the PADI material is very good. I think it took me the better part of 2 days to finish all of the onlione material. Additionally, you will have access to it for a year after you finish in the event that you wish to review any of the material. Good luck with the cert!

I have spent my whole life on and around the water canoeing, kayaking and sailing and now I want to learn to dive. I have been looking into how to get certified and see that I can do the classroom section on line but would like to hear from someone who has taken the on line course and their experience with it. I like taking classes on line but the little I could see of this course seemed pretty dated. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this on line course? I'm headed to Hawaii in December so if I can get the classroom part done now I could do the dives while there. And the whole time I'll be thinking of the Maine December and January weather that I'm missing out on.

I teach both methods...Classroom & On-Line. I think it depends on the individual and their learning perceptions. PADI has gone through great lengths in the production of their latest Open Water course. The "Classroom" sessions consist of the student watching the course's video and reading the manual, then answering a series of questions at the end of each chapter. You will review the questions in class with your instructor. During these reviews you will have interaction with a live instructor so concepts can be explained and all of your questions answered. For some students this is their preferred way to learn. For others they do great with on-line instructions. The on-line course covers the same materials but is interactive with graphics and videos. When you sign up for your on-line course you have t be linked with a dive shop you plan to take your water sessions in Hawaii. Once you select your preferred learning center they should contact you and you will have access to a live instructor if you have other questions that you do not get answered on-line.

For the most part both methods are good. The student needs to be dedicated to learning the materials...regardless of the delivery method. During my learning I took both types of courses. I did better with a live instructor. Sometimes I think I rushed thru the on-line course materials too fast...not learning the material to its fullest.

Good luck with your course.

~Oldbear~

It depends on what type of learner you are. My wife and I are both educators and get into this debate rather often. She is more of a traditionalist in the sense that she doesn't believe that online education is as effective as the good old fashioned classroom method. I, on the other hand do believe that online education can be an effective means of learning if the student is motivated, self driven and can easily think "outside of the box". That being said, when it comes to diving online courses are great but it would be advantageous to be able to have an instructor available to bounce questions off of. This is where some online education is lacking.

I used to be firmly against on line training. To a point I am still against it if the shop/instructor uses it as the substitute for all classroom training. What I will do should I ever get a student that has done the SDI on line class is NOT reduce time in my classroom. Rather what I will do is see just how much of the material they know AND UNDERSTAND, then add the stuff that is not in there that I believe an OW diver should know. Basically all the stuff that is in my book that rarely gets taught now.

Since you didn't specify which agency, I can only speak of my experiences with PADI online students....and that number is small.
I may only have a handful each year that take the online academics everyone else utilizes the in house sessions. To date every online student has been well prepared except for one youth, and I suspected their parent did most of the work.
Someone else who has a larger number of participants may disagree but the program works well for the right person with the right mindset.

I encourage online students to participate in the in store academic sessions, as Jim mentioned, not only to verify what they know and add additional information, but there is also the social aspect of diving. I know a number of friendships that have been created by sitting in a chair next to each other.

you do know that PA Elearning is only one phase of the course. Still need to do confined water -pool- before doing the 4 certifcation dives. Do all academic and confined water locally before going to Hawaii.

Be sure to figure out which shop in Hawaii you are going to do your course before you sign up for PADI online E learning. you need to attach the resort or instructor number so that they can see your progress and confirm that you have completed it.

You could always do the online and pool sessions at home with your local dive shop and then do the dives in Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom