New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! :D

My name is Sandra and I am a new member to this site.
I am going to start my first scuba diving course next Monday, and I am very excited!

I am here to meet people who have done it and can share with me their experiences and best diving sites.
Any tip will help me!

Like everything else, practice makes perfect, right?
But I am concerned about my ears... I tried to start the course before, and my ears hurt too much.
I decided to try one more time...and I hope it will work out this time!

Nice meeting all of you!
Sandra

Hi! :D

My name is Sandra and I am a new member to this site.
I am going to start my first scuba diving course next Monday, and I am very excited!

I am here to meet people who have done it and can share with me their experiences and best diving sites.
Any tip will help me!

Like everything else, practice makes perfect, right?
But I am concerned about my ears... I tried to start the course before, and my ears hurt too much.
I decided to try one more time...and I hope it will work out this time!

Nice meeting all of you!
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
Are you taking your diving course locally, or are you going somewhere in the Carribean
to take a course.

Best diving sites are really quite various. There are People that enjoy wreck diving, others
that like cave diving, others that like seeing sharks, etc. It is all fun and builds on the experience.

Regards,
Grant

P.S. I am new here as well

Explain to your instructor that you think you might have a problem and ask him to start showing you some equalizing techniques from the first day. Some of them you should start doing before getting into the water.

And go very slow - even if you see others at the bottom before you. When you go to do your certification dives if you have a choice pick a very easy low-current location so that there's no hurry to get down due to cross-currents or rougher surface conditions.

I've got a lot of dives - my buddy even more. He still to this day has a problem the first couple of times due to his ears. Sometimes I wait for him at the bottom...:wink:

Last edited:
Welcome to diving and SB! I'll echo those posts above mine about taking it slow on the way down to be sure your ears equalize ok, never force it! Any diver worth his regulator is always striving to learn and improve on their diving skill and experience. I see you're in Virginia, you're lucky enough to have some of the world's best wreck diving just down the road from you in NC!

Sandra welcome to SB,
First of all inform your instructor of any worries you have. As an instructor it is so nice to know what your students are thinking and feeling so you can react to that. Just remember that you can start equalize on the surface once or twice prior to descend, sometimes it makes equalizing easier. Also there are different ways to eqaulize airspaces, if one method doesn't work another may. By the looks of it you are taking the course with a friend or friends, so openly discuss your feelings amongst each other as well. But the main thing is, Have lots of fun and let us know how your course went.
blow bubbles,
Ewout

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom