New from So Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inadesert

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I got certified OW on vacation recently and want to stay active. We are a few hours from any body of water, but we are used to driving to do stuff. Until the last few years we were pretty active in search and rescue for off road events D37. For reasons unknown to me that has lost much of it's appeal. So we are hoping this is our new thing. Our kid's are out of the house and we make a decent living, so money and time should work out. I will try to be a good noob and read old posts before asking dumb questions. see ya

My wife and I got certified OW on vacation recently and want to stay active. We are a few hours from any body of water, but we are used to driving to do stuff. Until the last few years we were pretty active in search and rescue for off road events D37. For reasons unknown to me that has lost much of it's appeal. So we are hoping this is our new thing. Our kid's are out of the house and we make a decent living, so money and time should work out. I will try to be a good noob and read old posts before asking dumb questions. see ya

Welcome from another fellow Californiaer and noob!

Welcome and enjoy your new found hobby, sport, money pit (shoes one or all)

It is noted you were on S&R

Every year for the past five years SLO Underwater S&R team presents a very comprehensive DivCon. You and yours may want to plan on attending this year. A date for the 2015 event has not been established..stay tuned

"5th Annual Diver Education Conference
March 15, 2014
8:00 Am - 5:00 Pm
Pacific Gas & Electric - Energy Education Center
6588 Ontario Road, Avila Beach, CA.

Topics and order of presentation subject to change

Dr. SamMiller III Dive Historian - Opening Presentation
The Divers Down Flag

Karl Huggins USC Wrigley Marine Institute - Director of the Hyperbaric Facility
Dangers of Panic - Dive Computers

Patrick Smith Commercial & Scientific Diver, MA in Public History & Historic Preservation
Co-Author "Shipwrecks of Southern California"
Discovery of the Grunman Torpedo Bomber in the Channel Islands National Park

Dr. SamMiller IV Hyperbaric & Undersea Medicine - Emergency Medicine
Marion Medical Center Emergency Physician
Aquatic Environment Infections & Treatments

Paul Buechner Lead Instructor, Wilderness Medicine Institute -
Diver Medic, National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology
Survival at Sea

John McKenny Professional UWCinematographer - Deputy & Public Safety Diver
San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Underwater Search & Recovery Team
From the Archives of Jack McKenney, Inc. Productions

Fee:
There is a non-refundable $10.00 fee for the Diver Education Conference that covers the cost of the
morning snacks and buffet lunch. Pre-registration is required due to the limited seating. Contact Depth
Perceptions Diving Services to register. Payment can be made by cash or check only. No credit or debit
cards accepted. Last day to register is March 10, 2014.
Conference Sponsors:
San Luis Obispo County Sheriff - Underwater Search & Recovery Dive Team
Conference Syllabus Reproduction - Morning Coffee, Ice & Cookies
Pacific Gas & Electric Company - Energy Education Center
Energy Education Center Facilities
Depth Perceptions Diving Services
Conference Organization - Syllabus Binding - Conference Promotion
Pre- Registration Is Required
Contact - Depth Perceptions Diving Services "

Remember that SLO is 7 miles from Pismo Beach, great weather, great views and great food..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For a little about me suggest that you refer to "passings: "Art Pender; king of sling" and read the entire thread.

SDM

Welcome to the board, and to diving! Driving a few hours to dive is nothing. Wait until you realize how much fun it is to travel to dive...especially with a fun group!

Welcome aboard here and to the underwater world!!

Feel free to drop on down to our local forum and join in the fun here:
SoCal

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I feel the pain of those who live more than a mile from good diving (but fortunately I don't have to live it)!

Driving is one option, and a lot of people dive by shore or boat out of California. Tends to be cold water diving, from what I understand.

You may find it well-worthwhile to hop a plane down to Cozumel, Mexico, a little island off the mainland which is touristy, considered 'safe,' and offers great viz., varied topography, drift diving and a lot to see. If you want an 'all in one package,' do a forum search and read up on Scuba Club Cozumel, which also has some shore diving (not what Cozumel is known for). If you want big tanks, Cozumel is one of the few Caribbean places you can get steel 120 cf tanks (low or high pressure); Living Underwater (low pressure) and Aldora (high pressure) that I know of off-hand.

Airfare is a big part of travel cost. Since you're in California, I didn't lead with a suggestion for Key Largo, Florida (which seems very popular; shallow reef diving, deep wrecks, some cheap charter boat prices and with at least some op.s the option for 4 dives/day), since I'm guessing your airfare and travel time would be an issue. My old Key Largo trip report if you're interested.

Once you know you both love diving enough to spend a week on a 100+ foot live-aboard boat doing 4 - 5 dives/day or so, you might check out one of the live-aboard at Belize. A lot of people love Roatan, which I hope to dive one day. Threads on CocoView and Anthony's Key Resort may be useful.

If the airfare's not too daunting, and you really love warm water oceanic shore diving, my old standby Bonaire way down in the southern Caribbean is one sweet place to be.

Richard.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. We were in Puerto Aventuras Mexico, about 1/2 hr from Cozumel for 2 weeks when we got certified. We did not make to to Cozumel. There is so much to do and we were in the slow down and relax mode. Some day's we didn't do anything. I guess thats is one of the luxerys of taking 2 weeks. I think our next vacation will definately be centered around diving. Also thanks for conference info Sam we may try and check that out.

Look east also, they dive Lake Mead from Vegas. There's also the Dive Shack in Bullhead City or Scuba Training & Technology in Lake Havasu. Lake Mojave is generally clearer than Mead also.

Water's still cold though...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom