A canadian in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!
My name is Steve and I come from Quebec, Canada. A few months ago, I decided to quit my career as an IT Manager, sell everything I owned and use the money to travel the world.

3 months before I left, I figured I would like to take on scuba diving so I could enjoy more than just the usual sceneries, discover a whole new world. I was lucky enough to meet and befriend awesome instructors who helped me get certified before I left and who turned my interest into something I really enjoy.
I am now a fairly unexperienced Advanced Scuba diver but have come to find out that I will probably want to dive for a living.

The first 4 months of this trip were spent traveling most of Europe on a motorcycle, from Ireland to Poland, all the way down to the greek islands and back into Ireland. I only went diving in Santorini, but have been itching to get to SE asia so I could do it all the time.

I am now sitting in my Bangkok hostel trying to figure it out all. I think I will leave to Koh Tao in a few days to visit the different dive centers and hope I will find the right people with whom I will want to spend the next few months getting all the way to DM.
I could go anywhere in Asia to do this, so if Koh Tao is not the place for me, I will start looking at other places. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! As I am now without work, money is an important factor and I would also love to find a place that would be willing to accept my help as an alternative way to help me pay for these courses and/or accomodation as I have all the time in the world. I am a very honest person, laid-back, smart and dedicated. I am fully bilingual in French and English.

Anyways, this is me. Happy to be part of this community and I am hoping I will be able to start contributing soon enough!

Hi Steve,
Koh Tao is a good place to meet divers and especially DMs and instructors. Literally hundreds of them, get my drift? If money is a concern talk to a DM buy him a Heineken and ask how much he paid for training and how much he makes. A large percentage of tourists in Thailand are European where tipping is less common so don't expect huge tips from your clients. If you just want to dive and have a great time then that is a good place to start.

Thanks Dave for the advice!
I understand that Koh Tao might not be the best place to work as DM, I was mostly thinking of doing my cert and carrying on somewhere else after.
Considering I want to keep traveling after this, long-term employment is not on my criteria list after DM.
In hindsight, I suppose it makes me less desirable for an internship.
In any case, I still need to do EFR, Rescue diver and log 20+ dives before DM. It should allow me enough time to gather more info and make a smart decision.
Have a great day!

Thanks Dave for the advice!
I understand that Koh Tao might not be the best place to work as DM, I was mostly thinking of doing my cert and carrying on somewhere else after.
Considering I want to keep traveling after this, long-term employment is not on my criteria list after DM.
In hindsight, I suppose it makes me less desirable for an internship.
In any case, I still need to do EFR, Rescue diver and log 20+ dives before DM. It should allow me enough time to gather more info and make a smart decision.
Have a great day!

May I suggest if you are going to intern at a dive shop maybe go to somewhere other than the PADI equivalent of a puppy mill. Koh Tao has more PADI instructors than taxis.
Now Khao Lak is near the Similan ISlands and the diving will certainly be better

Agree with Dave, Koh lak is a more laid back area with great opportunities and a low cost of living. Great diving and both daily dives and liveaboards. Hit the Google and make some contacts. Sometimes the best approach is to dive with a company, get to know them, see their operation and see what you can offer and sell yourself. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom