Hello to All

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outlaw14

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a 43 year old woman who has just recently completed my classroom and CW sessions and am trying to stay ready for my OW certification dives later this month. I live in VA and will be diving in a quarry where the water temp will hopefully be 50 degrees. I hope to pass of course and then take some vacations to Bermuda and Hawaii. Any suggestions on good dive operators in either place (Oahu and Kauai in Hawaii)? Also, what is 50 degrees going to feel like?

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot about diving from you all

Lauren

Hi there!

Welcome to SB!

It depends on what you're wearing and what your personal tolerance is for 50F. It's going to be pretty chilly! However, a properly fitting 7mil wetsuit should help you out!

Diverlady

Welcome, Outlaw!

I've only been certified for a couple of years, so I'm certainly not the final word on the subject, but I had a thought....

I was wondering about the cert dives in the quarry. I'm sure every dive helps, but when you get in warmer water and salt water, you'll have to figure out your buoyancy all over again. At this stage, buoyancy is a big issue. Have you considered doing your cert dives when you get to Hawaii or Bermuda?

Just a thought. Of course, if you think you might want to keep quarry diving, then you'll want to go ahead with it. And there are lots of quarry divers on this board who really love it and can offer all kinds of support. They've almost convinced me to try it myself.... but we don't have any diving quarries around here! :)

Either way, I hope you'll enjoy diving as much as I do!

Howdy Lauren! :sunny

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

Yeah - 7 mil suit, snug fitting, with a neoprene hood or beanie, booties, and gloves! Stay as warm & dry as possible before and between dives, drink warm non-cafinated liquids, and pour 1 quart of warm water inside your suit, down your back, just before going in. :frosty:

don

you should fill out your profile---Anyways welcome

Thanks to all who replied. Good tips. I had time so went back and added some profile details. Thank you again. See you around the boards.

Outlaw14:
I am a 43 year old woman who has just recently completed my classroom and CW sessions and am trying to stay ready for my OW certification dives later this month. I live in VA and will be diving in a quarry where the water temp will hopefully be 50 degrees. I hope to pass of course and then take some vacations to Bermuda and Hawaii. Any suggestions on good dive operators in either place (Oahu and Kauai in Hawaii)? Also, what is 50 degrees going to feel like?

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot about diving from you all

Lauren
We sometimes suggest to do your Certification in a drysuit. Takes some extra diving, but if you think you might want to dive coldwater again drysuits are the thing to look into.

50 is likely to feel cold.

Suggest you take some warm/hot water in a container (I use a cooler). Some folks will suggest you pour some down your suit, though it feels real nice, I don't think it helps a heck of a lot. But what I like is warming up hoods, gloves and booties.

Good luck... think warm thoughs

Welcome Lauren,

Glad to have you join us. You will learn a lot here. There are a lot of knowledgeable divers from various parts of the world here on this board. If you have ANY questions, just ask.

Welcome to our world of diving. Glad you decided to take the plunge.

-Zendiver

Back
Top Bottom