New to Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beej1123

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and have just started diving instruction. I would like to hear from others on their experiences on getting used to breathing through your mouth and becoming comfortable with it. That seems to be my biggest obstacle. Does it finally "click" after awhile or do I have to walk around during the day with my nose clipped and practice breathing from my mouth.

Any suggesstions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the board. It will "click". Give it time, relax. Or you could wear your mask around all day!

Joe

After a few times of inhaling through your nose and just getting mask pressure squeeze you will feel natural mouth breathing. Also try coughing into your regulator to convince yourself that if you take in some water the wrong way you can cough until it clears.

As the others have said, you'll get used to it - there's nothing unnatural about it, or else you'd see alot more deaths from stuffy noses. Specifically, once you put a mask on, it won't seem that unusual...

Welcome aboard, good luck with SCUBA!

Fill out your profile a bit to let everyone know something about you...

Have you done any snorkeling? If not, it would probably help to get comfortable with snorkeling. You can even practice in your bathtub, although you might not want to let anyone catch you at it!

The first time I tried snorkeling was on a reef. I felt like I couldn't breathe, and I had to stop and then start over. This time I told myself, "It IS possible to breathe, you can do it." After a couple of minutes of such positive encouragement, I did fine.

Before I went out again, I spent a few hours in a nice heated pool, just practicing snorkeling, diving to the bottom for pennies, and getting comfortable with equalizing.

The first time I put on the diving equipment, and stuck my head under the water, I had the same experience of feeling like I wouldn't be able to breathe. This time it just took a couple of seconds to remind myself that I could do this. Then it was fine. . . .

It does become second nature, so keep at it!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

"Walter" posted some good ideas on this last month. Click here for a link: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=537035&postcount=8

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd fill out your Profile - so we can respect your training and experiences, or be courteous if you're a greenhorn?!

:D

Beej1123:
Hello, I am new to this site and have just started diving instruction. I would like to hear from others on their experiences on getting used to breathing through your mouth and becoming comfortable with it. That seems to be my biggest obstacle. Does it finally "click" after awhile or do I have to walk around during the day with my nose clipped and practice breathing from my mouth.

Any suggesstions would be appreciated. Thank you.

You mean your suposed to breath through your mouth, no wonder I get such a headache.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the laughs. Had another lesson and am doing better, but why do they make you swim 8 laps in the pool!! Was not prepared for that.

Beej1123:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the laughs. Had another lesson and am doing better, but why do they make you swim 8 laps in the pool!! Was not prepared for that.

EVEN THOUGH SCUBA ISNT A VERY PHYSICALLY DEMANDING SPORT, YOU DO STILL NEED TO BE SOME WHAT FIT, IM SURE THEY WERE JUST SEEING THAT YOU BASICLY CAN SWIM, AND FIT ENOUGH TO HANDLE THAT KIND OF EXCERSIZE. BUT IM SURE YOU WILL GET ALOT BETTER ADVICE ON IT FROM ONE OF THE PROS HERE ON THE BOARD, IVE HAD ALOT HELP ME OUT, THIS PLACE IS GREAT FOR THAT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom