University Class Looking for Diving Location.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elaineg

New
Reaction score
I am from a small university in Iowa, and we are planning a 2-week course in marine ecology for next year (February or May). We are trying to decide on the best location and am wondering if anyone has some input.It would be for a class of about 15 students plus 2 faculty.

The criteria in order of importance are:
1) Warm climate as in Mexico, the Caribbean, or Hawaii.
2) Cheap living accomodations and scuba rental fees.
3) Easy to moderate diving conditions for brand new divers.
4) Beautiful location on land and under water.

Please let me know if you know of or have heard of any locations that would fit the above criteria. Thanks.

Elaine

First let me welcome you to a great place to pick up knowledge about scuba diving (and probably a few things you didn't want to know....)

This sounds like a great course, can you provide a brief overview of what the students will be learning?

And good luck on your search.

I don't know how many of your points you will be able to get.
I sent a PM to one of our members who should be able to offer suggestions from experience.

Enjoy your time here.

hey Elaneig... those criteria will be bet just about anywhere in the Caribbean,
though some places are going to be more expensive than others.

may i suggest Bonaire? it is consistently ranked with the best diving locations in the Caribbean, it has wonderful shore access (you don't need a boat to dive), it is not too crowded, it's not too expensive, and it is essentially geared for divers.

Welcome to the board Elaine.

I will second Bonaire. It a little expensive to get to but the inexpensive diving helps make up for it. Unlimited tanks for shore diving run around $100pp for a week. Most places have full condos so a lot of money can be saved by doing some in house cooking.
The diving is very easy and there are lots of med to small animals to look at. Most dives can easily be kept to 35ft or less but 300+ ft dives are possible. The entire water area around the island from the shore to 200ft is a protected marine park. Come to think of it, you may be able to work some kind of deal with the Bonaire Marine Park for survey work or something. Would not hurt to ask.
You might drop these guys an email and see what they can do for you, their place is not fancy but clean and about as cheap a place as I know of ( I just stayed there in March) http://www.wannadivehutbonaire.com/default_frames1024.aspx

What are you looking for in a location? I would recommend the Florida Keys. It is close, has good marine life, plenty of dive operators, you can stay inexpensively, no foreign travel. etc.

Avalon on Santa Catalina Island might be an option depending on your definition of "warm." Our water temp right now is 62-63 surface, 56-60 at depth. Dive conditions in the dive park are perfect for new divers (many classes do their initial checkout dives here). Inexpensive accommodations can be had by camping or our low end hotels like the Hermosa.

If you're interested in more info, feel free to PM me.

Dr. Bill

If Catalina is an option, you could also look at Two Harbors. USC runs the chamber up there. I did a weekend with my marine ecology class where we camped out, only three of us went diving out of 12. There are beutiful kelp forests, and kayacking, and if you talk to USC in advance, you can check out the protected cove their facility is in.

There used to be a place on Provo, in the Turks and Caicos Islands, I don't know if it is still there. They had room for about 20 to 30 people. Broadreach (www.gobroadreach.com)used to run Marine Biology summer programs there for teens. Now they use a place in the Bahamas. They might be able to help make arrangements. My high school did a trip through them in 1998.

Alex

I would highly reccommend the Bay Islands in Honduras. College students will absolutely love staying on Utilla. There are young people there from all over the world.
I'm a PADI divemaster. Took seven friends down there last year. Five of them were new to diving. The calm, clear waters and lack of strong currents make it an excellent place for newbies.
And the amazing acquatic life will win over experienced divers. I saw three whale sharks in one afternoon. It was the most amazing experience of my life.
The best part is the price. It is one of the least expensive places to dive in the world, next to Koh Tao, Thailand. Accommodation and food is also very, very affordable.
The island is very small, there are no cars and electricity shuts down at midnight, so party-goers are forced to head home for a decent night's sleep.
I would recommend Utila Dive Centre. I investigated numerous dive shops before trusting their staff to teach my friends. They were very, very professional, had three boats, a nice dock and good equipment.
Hope this helps.

Elaineg:
I am from a small university in Iowa, and we are planning a 2-week course in marine ecology for next year (February or May). We are trying to decide on the best location and am wondering if anyone has some input.It would be for a class of about 15 students plus 2 faculty.

The criteria in order of importance are:
1) Warm climate as in Mexico, the Caribbean, or Hawaii.
2) Cheap living accomodations and scuba rental fees.
3) Easy to moderate diving conditions for brand new divers.
4) Beautiful location on land and under water.

Please let me know if you know of or have heard of any locations that would fit the above criteria. Thanks.

Elaine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom