New to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayG209

New
Reaction score
My wife and I just received our PADI open water Cert. We are planning our first recreational dive trip to Utila, Honduras in July. Now we are buying up our gear for the trip. Wow we need a lot of stuff. Hope we see some whale sharks. :wink:

welcome aboard!

you'll have a blast

Howdy Jay!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd complete your Profile...

:D

It is great to hear you and your wife decided to get certified together. The onely advise I can give you at this point in time is for both of you to learn to DIVE SAFELY and be GOOD dive buddies.

Joe

JayG209:
My wife and I just received our PADI open water Cert. We are planning our first recreational dive trip to Utila, Honduras in July. Now we are buying up our gear for the trip. Wow we need a lot of stuff. Hope we see some whale sharks. :wink:

The best advice I ever received re: SCUBA. If the dive doesn't feel right, don't do it. Don't fall prey to any kind of pressure. I know divers who are so proud to say "I've never missed a dive." I only admire the ones who say they have.

Once in the Sea of Cortez, our boat captain took us to a spot with massive currents converging over a very deep sea mount. He kept saying, "don't worry! there are no currents under the water!" This was our second dive of the day after almost a week of diving. (ie: we were all a bit worn down.) I took a quick look and said "no thanks." I knew if anything went wrong or I got caught in a current, I could easily be swept out to sea. Even when all the other divers said they were going to do it, I said no. They asked why, I told them my reasons, and as a result, they all agreed with me and asked the boat captain to take us elsewhere.

The morale of the story, dive your conscience and never be ashamed of it.

Glad you found us! This is a great place to spend your SI, but watch out, it's addictive!

Check out the Scubaboard Club Forums for the one nearest you

JayG209:
Now we are buying up our gear for the trip. Wow we need a lot of stuff.

Welcome to the board, and the sport. Gear is a worth while investment. My advise is save your money on stuff that can easily be upgraded later, but do skimp on the stuff that would need a lot of replacement to get what you really want. For example: weight integrated BC, if you didn't go for it now you would need to buy a whole new BC later, whereas if you really want an integrated air source, if you go the cheap route and get an octopus, you would have a spare octo and regulator when you later splurged on the integrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom