Tampa FL Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New wannabe from North Tampa. I've been snorkeling for years (live on a crystal clear lake) and have always wanted to get into diving. My wife isn't interested, but my 12 yo daughter is. She and I are going to be taking classes this summer, along w/ my wife's parents.

We went to an intro to SCUBA that was put on by Jim's Dive Shop in St. Pete and had a blast. We've since bought our basic gear and are saving up for the class and the all the associated equipment. I like hobbies like this as there's always lots of cool toys to buy (just wish I had a bigger budget!).

Since we can't dive yet, my daughter and I have been doing a lot of snorkeling. In April, we were at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, Eden Rock in Grand Cayman and we are doing Rainbow River in a couple weeks. She got a great picture in Chakanaab of a 5-6 barracuda right behind the legs of an unsuspecting swimmer.

Anyway, I've been lurking here a while and learning lots. It's a great resource and I want to thank all those who contribute. Maybe one day I'll have something to contribute. I'm a Materials Engineer by trade and have a small machine shop as a sideline business/hobby.

John Giles
Odessa FL

Welcome to Scubaboard! Glad you found us, and from the sounds of it you will love diving. When I got certified, I didn't own any equipment, instead bought as needed. Renting also gives you a chance to try different configurations before plunking down $$$ from the store.
Good luck to you, daughter and inlaws. Hopefully you will be certified during the prime of this season (starting now...)
Oh, click on over to the Florida Conch Divers, there you will find local info and trips being planned. Any trip posted is an invitation to join the fun!

Howdy John!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - it would really help in future discussion if you'd complete your Profile. Click "User CP" upper left of this page, then go down to "Edit Profile."

:D

welcome aboard

IslandHopper:
What crystal clear lake north of Tampa ? ... I used to do a lot of sailing/swimming in Lake Tarpon.

I'm on Lake Calm, on the East End of Tarpon Springs road, about 9 miles from Lake Tarpon. Parents moved there in 1950's, I've been there since 1962 (dob).

To other's:
thanks for all the welcomes! Looks like I've found a home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom