Hi To All, From So Cal, First Post This Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deuceman

Registered
Reaction score
New to the board, and fairly new diver also. Wife and I have been diving about 4 years, a little over 100 dives, all in the Caribbean. We leave this Saturday for our first Pacific dives, two weeks in Kona, 1 on the Aggressor, can't wait. We have lived in So Cal a little over two years now, and haven't tried the cold water diving off the coast here.

Welcome to Scubaboard...

While it may not be as warm as where you are headed, the local waters -- especially the Channel Islands -- are quite amazing with their thick kelp forests.

Otter:
While it may not be as warm as where you are headed, the local waters -- especially the Channel Islands -- are quite amazing with their thick kelp forests.
By the time we get back it will probably be getting really cold, but maybe next summer we'll give it a try. We have looked into 7/5 mm full suits, but we hear this would not be enough for multiple dives, that we should get dry suits. Not sure we would dive it enough to justify the cost / hastle, but we are thinking about it. We have a lot of friends hear, that are trying to talk us into it. We were certified in Texas, and we do miss having a place to just get wet on the weekends. In Texas we had a few lakes that were warm and close, plus the Flower Gardens were only about an hours drive, so very doable on a weekend.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

You haven't trired your home waters? I've been out there three times for them - neat things to see. Wore a 7 mil, neop beanie, neop gloves, heavy dive boots.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any help, PM me direct.

:D

Welcome many friendly people here

Deuceman:
New to the board, and fairly new diver also. Wife and I have been diving about 4 years, a little over 100 dives, all in the Caribbean. We leave this Saturday for our first Pacific dives, two weeks in Kona, 1 on the Aggressor, can't wait. We have lived in So Cal a little over two years now, and haven't tried the cold water diving off the coast here.

You really should try local diving. You can pick up a decent 7mm suit for not much money, get a hooded vest to wear under and you'll be set for year round diving. I know it's not hawaii but I can go diving anytime for just parking meter change and the price of an air fill

The local islands offer world class diving, right here at your doorstep.
No airplane ride required.

Don't worry about the local water temp. You will be compfortable if you buy a well fitting wetsuit. Also, because you have no time/money invested in travel you are not compelled to make four dives a day.
Many Saturdays I'm done diving by 9:00am You won't get chilled on a one tank, 40 minute dive.

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I think the diving in SoCal is better in the winter when the water is colder! I think the visibility is better. But maybe that's just me. :crafty:

Dive safe!

Christian

Welcome to Scubaboard. Did 3 dives at Catalina with a 6.5mil., hood, boots, and gloves. Water temp was 58. I survived while I admit I have some natural insulation. Local diving is great, you should try it.

Back
Top Bottom