Any take on pony tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovescorals

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

30 years ago I snorkeled in the Red Sea and fell in love with the underwater world. Ever since I've been dreaming to learn SCUBA, and finally, last year while vacationing in Aruba, I got my PADI cert together with my 13 year old son! A year before that I did a short "resort course" in Mexico.

BTW, I almost didn't pass because in the last day of the course, after the last ocean dive, the instructor tested my skill of taking off the BCD and riding on the tank. Although I did it perfectly in the pool the first day, I forgot the details of the maneuver and the young instructor lost his cool, and instead of instructing me what to do he was screaming that I was doing it bad...

I passed the final written test at 90 plus and was given another chance to do the drill. I asked the instructor the details of body positioning etc. and was sent to the water to be tested by another instructor. I did it just as good as the drill in the pool and got out of the water screaming with joy!

We are leaving soon for Curacao, and this winter will be going to the Bahamas and possibly the Red Sea.

I just ordered the Suunto Vyper wrist diving computer (it has diving simulation feature.) I ordered it at Sportextreme.com - they seem to have the best price and an original manuf. warranty. It costs almost $200 more in retail stores in the US!

When I was in Aruba I met divers who used a pony tank for emergency. I wonder where these can be purchased and at what configuration? If you're running out of air and don't want to rely on the buddy system, are these small tanks equipped with their own regulators, etc? How do you strap them on? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I'm a bit concerned because I consumed air more than the average diver, including my 13 year old son. Perhaps because I was too excited. Who knows.

Aloha and welcome to the board. There are several options for spare air, starting with Spare Air, a self contained unit that holds a few breaths worth, enough to surface at a safe speed. Or you can get slightly larger tanks that use there own regulator that will leave you with enough air for a safety stop. Spare air mounts whereever you can reach it. Ponys go next to the main tank so you can reach the valve with your gear on (upside down)....You will like the Vyper, use it as a no brainer or for more advanced planing.
Your air consumption will decrease as you dive more, just relax and enjoy!

How are the reefs in Hawaii?

Wildcard:
Aloha and welcome to the board. There are several options for spare air, starting with Spare Air, a self contained unit that holds a few breaths worth, enough to surface at a safe speed. Or you can get slightly larger tanks that use there own regulator that will leave you with enough air for a safety stop. Spare air mounts whereever you can reach it. Ponys go next to the main tank so you can reach the valve with your gear on (upside down)....You will like the Vyper, use it as a no brainer or for more advanced planing.
Your air consumption will decrease as you dive more, just relax and enjoy!

Snowbear:
Hehehehehe :D Where's Uncle Pug?......

Snowbear...... you are nauty :D

Lovescorals..... There are loads of threads on the topic of spare air and pony bottles, put either in the search feature and you will be inundated. I have to say that I am shocked at the way you were treated by your instructor, don't let it bother you.......

As for why you don't want to rely on the buddy system??
You have only just passed OW don't run before you can walk. :wink:

Mr Mares:
I have to say that I am shocked at the way you were treated by your instructor, don't let it bother you.......

As for why you don't want to rely on the buddy system??
You have only just passed OW don't run before you can walk. :wink:

Hi Mr Mares

My instructor realized he was wrong , therefor he suggested that after the shore briefing I would go back and be tested on the skill with another instructor. This was my "revenge" -
when he tested me in open water he was floating in the ocean nearby me and was supposedly "assisting" me in three failed attempts. When I came on board the boat for the make up test I asked the other instructor (a young woman) to come with me to the water in case I needed help.
She smiled and told me "just jump in, you don't need me there". Well, I had no other choice , so I jumped and did it like piece of cake.

As to the buddy system - obviously I rely on it and I don't see myself going solo, but I know bad things can happen.
I saw other divers carrying those yellow small tanks (in retrospective I assume they were Spare Air.)

Here's what happened to me in one of the OW course dives.
Our class was small - just my son and myself. We went on a wreck dive off shore Aruba. There was another group on the boat. At a particular moment I started to gain positive buoyancy and slowly drifted up. A huge school of small fish made the visibility practically zero and I lost eye contact with the rest of my small group. I tried to reunite after stabilizing my buoyancy, at no avail. I didn't panic, and after a while we reunited. This incident showed me that buddy seperation can happen. BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but if this happens, aren't the buddies supposed to ascend and regroup at the surface? Is this the common routine?

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a good diver. I would dive with you.

lovescorals:
This incident showed me that buddy seperation can happen. BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but if this happens, aren't the buddies supposed to ascend and regroup at the surface? Is this the common routine?

You make a good point - buddy separation can and does happen all too frequently, especially with new/less experienced divers. There's nothing wrong with carrying a redundant breathing gas supply.

That being said, however, the PADI-recommended approach to buddy separation is to search for one minute, starting as soon as you realize you are separated, then surface and re-group. The easiest way to find your buddy is to look for bubble trails, as they're frequently visible long before you see your buddy (who's almost invariably wearing basic black!)

Tank bangers can help, if only to let both buddies know to catch up with each other. Our local group uses 2 bangs to call attention to something interesting and 3 bangs to signal something more urgent, from separated buddies to an emergency. Bang repeatedly in 2- or 3-bang groups.

It's very important to stress good buddy techniques when diving with your son. As the parent of a minor, he is your responsibility. Separation can result in tragedy, as it did for a recent father/son pair of uncertified divers here.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t65844.html

As to your instructor - there's no excuse for that sort of behavior by a professional. I'm glad you were able to finish your exercises.

Good luck to you and your son as you gain experience underwater. Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

Standard rule is look for one minute then ascend. It is very easy to get seperated, just don't get real excited about it. DO a slow 360 a couple of times, if they don't pop back into view, look up for there bubbles closer to the surface ( after hearing about your instructor, I don't know if this was brought up). As the exhaled air rises it expands and will also reflect more light. Usualy works to finds buddies in decent water. Good luck with your diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom