Hiya!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Do I dare to dream? FNA Right!
I'm a new diver in the Sacramento area. I'm trying with patience to get certified but if ya want to read into my story... I'll post it in another forum. Just look for DISGUSTED. Otherwise, I would like to find someone in the Sacramento Region looking for a dive partner.
Later,
Dark Skies

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard! I think that you will be able to learn a lot here, and hopefully you can post some of your own experiences as well! My name is Kayla, and I have been diving for two years now. If you have any questions or problems.. or you just want to chat, PM me! Otherwise, I hope to get to know you better around the boards! I hope that you can get certified soon!

Safe diving!
Kayla :dazzler1:

The service is not letting me post. Please let me know if there's a problem.
TITLE: DISGUSTED!

BODY:
HIYA ALL!
Here's how my story goes...
One day I decided because I had a whole lot of money in my pocket I would hook up at my local dive shop (Dolphin) here in Sacramento. A few experiences there were good one with lots of information and then I started having bad ones. Mind you the bad ones are the ones that should be of interests! It's like I had some sort of sign on my head that I was some dirt poor hick off the streets over night. Common' you don't buy a house or anything without checking it out first do ya???
Ok, so like I saw a few things in their monthly rag and was interested because PADI says to dive within your budget, I was looking within my budget (they acted like I was a cheep *******).
I bought all the stuff needed for the class and took the Open Water Course, I know I scored well within the class and then did the pool the way they instructed with a little concern of mask flooding but I got through it with the help of some posts here.
When I went to do my cert. in Monterey... I was fitted with a wet suit that was WAY too tight and let the instructor know but he like the store gave me the excuse that it should be tight. Jesus, you could have cut this skin off me and made pork rinds! Next I was over weighted with a harness of 45# and once again I was told that I needed it. The instructor was not helpful at all and was a complete *** about the whole situation. I never got one dive completed. Next day of dives I was told NOT to participate and another time would be better in the lake.
Today and over $2500. later I tried my certification dives again and this time, the same instructor was a complete standoffish jackass. Not saying much he instructed me to get my gear together, I had a few questions about the dive and he acted like a complete jerk about it. QUESTION: Isn't there supposed to be a pre dive check and lecture? I sure didn't get one! Is it wrong to ask how deep we would be going??? Again... Gee, this mask is flooding a lot, let me fix it... Again.... Next, I was asked if I could do the dive and I said FNA Right... I got to the bottom and was towed around in circles trying to find deep water only to get back out, told that dive was complete and that he wasn't comfortable taking me back out because of mask skills being next and that he didn't feel comfortable with my skills in the water. WTF, look at my class time and pool time I told him and he didn't care! Then he calls his buddies back at Dolphin and told them all a bunch of crap that just because he's a Master Dive Instructor they would believe. It seems like I have NO chance... WAIT!!! I played my wild card and got myself an instructor today that IS willing to help!
Now as a suggestion, I would steer clear of Dolphin Scuba because if you like something and you want to buy it, they pitch a ***** because you don't buy what they want you to buy and even if it's something in the cat. they still *****. QUESTION: If it's crap to begin with why do they advertise and sell it???
Next, 99.9% of the sales people are *******s, TOTALLY! With the exception of the owner and Derik B. To which I don't think the owner really knows because he's in and out so much. But percentage wise, it's not enough to survive my business and I don't want to subject others to their ethics. My friends... Take your business to Andrew at Scuba World!!!
Thanks for your time,
Dark Skies

There are many scuba shops out there that are suffering because of bad customer skills, I have been through few class's wear they wanted you to buy there stuff well i am using an old us diver mask that isnt made any more and I love it and wont change, " oh the pitch you need a new mask that thing a ancient " well if it works and not broke and you like it and its safe use it!!!!! Most class's I have been too is about one thing if you have a good instructor then you will learn, and most the good one will take extra time to help you!
And yes there should be pre dive info!!!!!!!

Hi Dark Skies, my name is Matt. I’d like to welcome you to Scuba Board! It’s a really nice place for divers to meet other divers. Take care. :scubadive

Howdy Dark Skies!

And welcome to SB! I see you that maybe you've had some encounters with our Moderators? :censored: This is a family board, and while some of the 14 year olds among us may use language like some of your's, we try to keep a higher standard. An occasional Damn or Hell is okay, but that's about it.

Sounds like you had a bad time with the Local Dive Shop. I quit one becuase of the staff, too - which the absentee owner didn't do anything about. He lost my business, and a lot more, so maybe he won't be around too much longer. Not far to a freindlier one, even on the desert. Glad you stuck with it and trained with a friendlier instructor.

I am conerned that you couldn't post your story, as it would have worked better in New To Scuba. It can take some time and practice to learn the workings of all these buttons, though. If you continue to have problems, send me a PM with your phone number and best times to call. I'll get on my puter and phone and walk you thru what I can.

To send me a PM, or Personal Message, click my usre name for a pulldown menu, and will give you a Send PM option.

don :bogey:

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with that dive shop. Hopefully, you are treated with respect at the new shop you are going to. This will all quickly fade into the past as you enjoy the underwater world.

Don't forget to fill out your profile and dive info, so that we can add context to your future posts. Also, once we know where you are geographically, you may find that you'll have a whole bunch of new dive buddies to choose from locally once you are certified.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Hi Dark Skies and welcome to Scubaboard! I assure you most people here will be more helpful than it sounds like your LDS is being. Truly sorry to hear of the hassle you're getting. I'd like to encourage you to not give up, diving is so great! Sounds like that's not an option since you've already made a substantial investment. Hope things turn around, good luck. We'll see you around the board!

hi dark skies, sorry to hear your dive experience didn't start off too well. i'm sure things will only get better! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom