New to diving and need some info! Please!(long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dwellex

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I just came back from Cuba 2 weeks ago. I had a great vacation but something happened...I got stong by the diving bug!! It was my first time diving and I must say it was awesome, I felt like I was in another dimention!

You see it is different in Cuba you dont need to be certified to dive, all you need is a quick intro course of 20 minutes and your ready to dive. My first dive was at about 20 feet,I was a bit stressed,it lasted about 45 min. Then the diver guide asked who wanted to go for a second dive? I say: "MEEEEE!!!!"

The second dive was at about 50 feet and lasted 50min. It was awesome,I was super relaxed and enjoyed it alot! I got a bit of a headache and later in the day I had blood in my secretion from the sinuses probably...I always had sinus problems and allergies. But It did not hurt or bother me at all and the headache lasted only 30min or so.

I will be taking diving classes to get a PADI certificat so that I can dive again and also I will check with a nose throat and ears doctor to see if everything is all right. ( I sure hope he does not tell me that I can not dive or I'll go nuts!!)

I have a question for the experts here:

I want to start buying my diving gear a bit at a time (so I will have it all by next summer) What kind of regulator should buy, US DIVER, MARES,AQUALUNG or what? I will be diving in Canada if it makes any difference?

Thanks!

Alex

Dear sir or madam,

I'm just getting started posting on this site so be patient.

My reaction would be what about the shop near you? Can you rent gear for now (except mask, snorkel, fins) and purchase later on, as you gain knowledge?

I've been diving for awhile, and just started working full-time in a shop, so I'm a bit prejudiced but I'd keep the enthusiam you have and temper it with some experience.

You seem comfortable in the water but there's a long way to go to be a competent diver that can handle things when they go wrong.

Equipment is great and we all love it, but training is foremost.

good luck

Dwellex:
Hi,

I just came back from Cuba 2 weeks ago. I had a great vacation but something happened...I got stong by the diving bug!! It was my first time diving and I must say it was awesome, I felt like I was in another dimention!

You see it is different in Cuba you dont need to be certified to dive, all you need is a quick intro course of 20 minutes and your ready to dive. My first dive was at about 20 feet,I was a bit stressed,it lasted about 45 min. Then the diver guide asked who wanted to go for a second dive? I say: "MEEEEE!!!!"

The second dive was at about 50 feet and lasted 50min. It was awesome,I was super relaxed and enjoyed it alot! I got a bit of a headache and later in the day I had blood in my secretion from the sinuses probably...I always had sinus problems and allergies. But It did not hurt or bother me at all and the headache lasted only 30min or so.

I will be taking diving classes to get a PADI certificat so that I can dive again and also I will check with a nose throat and ears doctor to see if everything is all right. ( I sure hope he does not tell me that I can not dive or I'll go nuts!!)

I have a question for the experts here:

I want to start buying my diving gear a bit at a time (so I will have it all by next summer) What kind of regulator should buy, US DIVER, MARES,AQUALUNG or what? I will be diving in Canada if it makes any difference?

Thanks!

Alex

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Glad to hear that you loved diving so much!

I'm also glad to hear (for your own future safety) that you will be taking a certification class. You'll learn about many of the things that could go wrong. You may have, unfortunately, already experienced one of the things that could go wrong and that may have been preventable.

Talking with an ENT doctor is a wise decision given what happened. It may not be anything serious, but would be best to seek professional advice. You should make sure that the ENT you speak with has an understanding of hyperbaric medicine. You can get a referral from DAN (Divers Alert Network). Visit their webite for more info:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org

Don't forget to fill out your profile and dive info, so that we can add context to your future posts. Also, once we know where you are geographically, you may find that you'll have a whole bunch of new dive buddies to choose from locally once you are certified.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

scubamurray:
Dear sir or madam,

I'm just getting started posting on this site so be patient.

My reaction would be what about the shop near you? Can you rent gear for now (except mask, snorkel, fins) and purchase later on, as you gain knowledge?

I've been diving for awhile, and just started working full-time in a shop, so I'm a bit prejudiced but I'd keep the enthusiam you have and temper it with some experience.

You seem comfortable in the water but there's a long way to go to be a competent diver that can handle things when they go wrong.

Equipment is great and we all love it, but training is foremost.

good luck

Thanks ScubaMurray! You are right I will rent the gear in a scuba shop near me...I know an awesome place,the biggest one in my town (Montreal Canada) where they give courses and certifications (PADI) I checked out their website and all I need is a mask and fins for now. (like to told me :))

headhunter:
Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Glad to hear that you loved diving so much!

I'm also glad to hear (for your own future safety) that you will be taking a certification class. You'll learn about many of the things that could go wrong. You may have, unfortunately, already experienced one of the things that could go wrong and that may have been preventable.

Talking with an ENT doctor is a wise decision given what happened. It may not be anything serious, but would be best to seek professional advice. You should make sure that the ENT you speak with has an understanding of hyperbaric medicine. You can get a referral from DAN (Divers Alert Network). Visit their webite for more info:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org

Don't forget to fill out your profile and dive info, so that we can add context to your future posts. Also, once we know where you are geographically, you may find that you'll have a whole bunch of new dive buddies to choose from locally once you are certified.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Hi Christian,
Thanks for the welcome!
I think I am over excited with my diving experience (cuba) and must come back on earth! I took an appointment with my doc so that he can refer me to and ENT doctor. I am so anxious...I just hope he does not tell me that I can't dive cause of my sinus congestion and hayfever allergies!! That would just kill me :( I mean what could be wrong with spitting a little blood and a headache? :)

Thanks again!
ALex

Hi Dwellex and welcome to Scubaboard! I definitely think you should wait a little before you purchase your equipment considering you have not been certified yet. When the time comes, there's a lot of information and opinions about equipment in the Equipment of SCUBA Diving Forum<<click to go there

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Howdy!

I just want to join the others in welcoming you to SB. Hope to get to know you around the forums. Be sure to check out our Canada forums and the one on New To Scuba.

I landed in your city a little over a week ago. It was out of the way to Brockville ONT, that's the way it worked out. Great diving in 67F water.

Cuba's 80+F waters must be wonderful, but - we still don't talk. What you survived is a Resort Course, or Discover Scuba - the same way I got hooked a few hundred miles further east off of St.Kitts. Getting certified is a great idea, and when you go back - but the Dive Guides's leading contradicts your training, follow your training.

Nose bleeds among newbies are common. As your equalizing skills improve, and your sinuses & veins adapt, they may disappear on their own. Never a bad idea to get a professional :lildoc: opinion, though.

It'll be good to own your own Reg and BC before getting too far along, but give yourself time to form a good decision based on study. You certainky want a Reg that can be esily serviced locally.

Completing your Profile and seperately - keeping your Dive Info up to date helps in future diving discussions. PM me if I can help you learn your way around.

don
:wink:

Scott Riemer:
Hi Dwellex and welcome to Scubaboard! I definitely think you should wait a little before you purchase your equipment considering you have not been certified yet. When the time comes, there's a lot of information and opinions about equipment in the Equipment of SCUBA Diving Forum<<click to go there

Thanks for the link Scott! For sure,I will wait before buying my gear. It's just that I was thinking that since I dont want to buy it all at once that it would be a good idea to purchase a piece at a time. I will follow everyones advice...But if I find a good deal,it will be hard for me not to buy! :)

see ya!
Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom