Gettin the itch - tell me where to scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonS

New
Reaction score
Hi - I last dove in 1984 while in the NAVY in the Palau Islands. Then came love, marriage and a couple of girls. Now all of a sudden those girls a threatening to be adults and leave me orphaned. I -the dad -am going through empty nest syndrome and they are just 16 and 13. I'm pathetic. Any way - before they go running off with some boy claiming to be old enough at 26. I would like to get them certified as open water divers (THE ITCH) and take them to the Carribian somewhere in 2-3 years. (THE SCRATCH) I have learned to appreaciate the value of other peoples reports. I would apprieciate any input as to where the real jewels are. And any other valuable tid bits. thanks.

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest and the best.

Not sure what you're looking for - where to go, or what to do first? Since you've not dived in 20 years, forget what you think you remember, as it's all changed, and skills get rusty a lot faster than that. All three of you can train together, though, which just increases the fun.

Where to go? Y'all might like a cruise with diving off of different islands. I wouldn't, but my objectives are different, and many would tell you of their joys doing so. Why not complete your Profile and Dive Info as an aid for future discussions, and read up in our New 2 Scuba and various travel forums.

PM me if I can help you find your way around here.

don :colgate:

Hey Jon...
First thing...welcome to the board. You will find it all very interesting and informative....and some to be taken with a grain of salt.

Second....fill out your profile better. Not knowing where you are makes it difficult making recommendations for you. Don took your question as to where do you go to go diving and I take your question as where to go to get trained. And you def need new training.

Take a look at our section for clubs and organizations (areas). If you were in NC I could make a number of good recommendations for you. But, not knowing where you are.....just check the regional sections and ask again is all I can advise.

As far as where to go diving....my last dive trip was to Barbados and it was pretty good. The night life and things to do above the water was great. Plus the girls will love the shopping.

Good luck, welcome aboard...and have fun
rich

Heya Jon and welcome to the Board! I think it wonderful that you want to get your girls involved, they'll never be able to thank you enough! You should definetly take the class with them. Not only will it be informative for you as a bit of a "refresher" I think it will really enhance their expierence as well. (you'll have to keep us updated on the progress) As for dive spots, there's so mant really great places. I love diving right here at home in Florida. I'm sure you'll find somewhere wonderful anywhere you go in the Carribean. I think Cozumel is my favorite spot their for now. Best wishes for all of you.

Cheers,
Vickie

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

You could get the girls certified locally and tag along for the class as a refresher. Then build skills locally, so that you will all get the maximum amount of enjoyment from an exotic dive destination. You also might want to have them do some research and let you know what they think some of the coolest places in the world would be to dive. Actually, the whole family could participate in the "research project". Let us know how things are going by posting on the board.

Don't forget to fill out your profile and dive info, so that we can add context to your future posts. Also, once we know where you are geographically, you may find that you'll have a whole bunch of new dive buddies to choose from locally.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

:thumb: Hello JonS, I wanted to give you a warm welcome you to Scuba Board. You came to the right place to meet other divers and find answers for things you are looking for. There are many helpful people here! If you have any questions please let me know and (you can PM me also) I will try and point you in the right direction. Take care from Matt. :drummer:

Hi Jon and welcome to Scubaboard! I can't really add anything to the advice you've already gotten other than in addition, hang out on Scubaboard!

Back
Top Bottom