Future Monterey diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubacastor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for months :07: but I never posted anything :11: . I believe it's time for me to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. My name is Lionel, I am 28, I live in France in Nice at the border of the Mediterranean sea. I have been practicing scuba diving for 16 years with more than 500 dives. I have recently completed a PhD in oceanology.

This forum is very interesting and I am particularly interested in things related to diving in (central ?) California as I will move to work at Moss Landing (MBARI for those who know the place) for a postdoctoral fellowships in the next months.

I am currently preparing my departure for a quite long stay in the US and I am excited by all I have read about kelp diving. I hope I will be able to meet some of the Monterey bay divers in this forum !

Congratulations on completing your PhD. Check out the California Kelp Divers forum in the groups section. You'll definately be able to find some monterey divers there. I'm a little further south in CA in Santa Barbara. Good luck at MBARI.

Thomas

Hi Lionel,

Welcome to SB, and a future welcome to Monterey!

Many folks on the board dive in Monterey...

You may also wish to subscribe to yahoo group ba_diving which has many Monterey divers also.

Let us know when you get here. :)

--Sean

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!

Dang, but your life sounds interesting! I hope you'll get involved with sharing yur experiences around the forums!

Sizing a photo for your profile or Avatar can be a challenge; I'm a fumbling amateur, but I get the job done, if you'd like any help? PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message."

And if you're going to be in Houston Oct 16 - for the DEMA show or any other reason, you're even invited to a SB Bar-B-Q dinner! Click here: http://scubaboard.com/t73366-swampers-bbq-update-and-current-info.html or PM me for assistance in signing up for it. Dee wanted to know sooner, but she can squeeze a few in late. I wouldn't miss this for anything! :thumb:

don :shades:

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Visit the SoCal section of our California Kelp Divers forum. You'll find lots of people that dive in Monterey. I'm told that people that live in the area tend to travel south to dive rather than north, so you'll probably find more of them in the SoCal section than the NorCal section, although I haven't actually taken a pole. You can even sign up for our SoCal Role Call as being in Nice now, but moving soon to Monterey, if you like.

You may also want to add that you'll soon be in Monterey to your profile info or your signature line. This way people will know that you are coming soon to a beach near them. You'll have a whole bunch of buddies waiting for you! :crafty:

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and advices :)

I will have a look on forums and message boards mentionned as I will certainly have some questions about diving conditions in this area or to find dive buddies :) . I dived in many hot or cold places around the world but the cold parts of the Pacific are unknown to me except in books :D

:369: Hi there Lionel, my name is Matt. Welcome to the Board! You should enjoy it here, you will find lots of information about diving. You can also meet many nice people too. Have a fun time here. :auto

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

I just realized that I was recommending that you check out the SoCal section instead of the NorCal section.

For some reason, I was "thinking" San Luis Obispo" while typing and reading "Monterey".

Monterey is definitely in NorCal territory, whereas, San Luis Obispo is the upper limit of our SoCal territory.

That said, we would love to see you come down for a visit to SoCal sometime once you get settled in the Monterey area.

Dive safe!

Christian

Back
Top Bottom