Hello from Utilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mabasrn

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a relatively new diver. I finished my PADI open water and advanced open water courses about 7 months ago with the Bay Islands College Of Diving in Utila. I was on a two week vacation at the time and well I loved it so much as soon as I got back home to Canada I was already planning my next vacation. I decided to quit to my job and take a year off traveling.

Now I'm back in Utila again I've managed to finish all the courses I need to become a divemaster and I've done about 150+ dives now on this island. Thiers lot's of great sites to dive on this island and I'm still finding new things to see. I've also started working as a DM for the Bay Islands College of Diving. It's a great place to learn and I've completly enjoyed my time here.

I'll be leaving the island in a few weeks though and I've been thinking about working as a DM in thailand for a couple months. So if any of you have any advice for diving there it would be appreciated. Also I'll be happy to answer anyones questions about Utila.

thanks

Hello mabasrn and welcome to Scubaboard! Sounds like you had a great experience! Glad you've found Scubaboard and if I'm ever headed to Utila, I'll take you up on that information.

Have you dove Roatan as well? Is it worth the trip I'm planning for in March '05?

I was in Thailand back in september for work and managed to get some diving in, the boat that I was on for the weekend had divemaster from Sweden who left after high school, went to Utila learned to dive there, became a DM, lived there for a year and then moved to Thailand (Phucket specifically) to be a DM there. So is there something happening on Utila that makes you guys want to go to Thailand next?

BTW the diving in Thailand was great. There are lots of dive shops/charters based in Phucket that do trips out the various islands, such as the Phi Phi Islands and the Similian Islands, and liveaboards up to Myanmar(I think its Myanmar), which is supposed to be relatively untouched due to the just recently lifted closed border philosphy.

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

You've certainly had an interesting start, and I wish you the best in Thailand. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help here.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Heya and welcome to the Board.... :wavey:

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
Great intro to SCUBA Diving!
I plan to visit Thailand in March, will visit my brotehr in Chon Buri, and must get in some diving.

Tom

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Don't forget your own back yard! I here there is some great diving in Canada, albeit a little colder than some other places! :11:

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or respond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

holy crap... talk about immersing yourself in the sport - you immersed yourself into a new lifestyle. that's pretty slick. no need in telling you good luck and have fun - you're living the dream!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom