NoCal Diver looking to end hiatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troman

New
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've lurked here for a few weeks - this looks to be an outstanding forum! I look forward to contributing to it and learning from it.

I've been certified since 1976 (NASDS) and was recertified in 1984 (YMCA/PADI). That was back on the east coast, where I dove off the NJ coast, Rhode Island, the icy waters of Lake George, NY and other places. But I really didn't kick it into high gear until I moved to California in '84. Since then I'm done a ton of diving in Monterey, and vacation dives at places like Cozumel, Hawaii, and the Cayman Islands.

My main diving partner has been my wife. In 2000, we had our son, and since that time my diving activities have stopped. So I've had a 4-5 year hiatus, and I'm definitely missing it and want to get back into it. For now my wife does not want to dive, mainly because our 4-year-old would have to be left in the care of others.

So I'm thinking about how to get back into it. This forum looks like a great way to find a dive buddy. I'm somewhat particular because I've been on some dives with people who were a little reckless. I need to be able to trust a dive buddy. I'm also considering solo diving, since I've done that a couple of times before. Although I don't think I need to get recertified again, I'm sure my skills are a little rusty, so I'll likely start slowly with some easy dives.

Anyway that's a quick synopsis of my situation. Again I look forward to participating here!

Tom
Half Moon Bay, CA

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

Half Moon Bay is near San Francisco, isn't it? Your best resource for local buddies would have to be our California Kelp Divers -NorCal forum.

It would help in future diving discussions if you'd complete your Profile with location - and separately - your Dive Info. You can use the Quick Links in the bar above for such changes. And sizing a photo for your profile or Avatar can be a challenge; I'm a fumbling amateur, but I get the job done, if you'd like any help?

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Hello there Tom, my name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome! If you’d like to chat, please PM me.
Take care. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hi Tom,
Welcome to Scubaboard! Have fun getting back into diving. We just started diving in Monterey a month ago and it's really great! Definitely take a refresher course or practice first if it's been a while. Wallin's Dive Center in San Carlos will let you practice in their pool for $10 including tanks/wts and gear if you need it. They also have a Kelptomaniacs club with monthly Fun Dives (group shore dives). Another option is to do a guided boat dive. We recently went out with Mike Jones from Sanctuary Charters (Gilroy Scuba) and had a great time. Don't do solo diving (especially if you're rusty)!

Check out the NorCal Forum for events & buddies. For example, here's a recent
post from someone looking for a dive buddy. And while you're at it, why don't you post a picture of yourself in this thread ?

Have fun and hope to see you diving!
Capybara

Welcome the board! I am sure you will find a lot of new, advice, friends, discussions, info, etc here that will help you a lot! Enjoy!

Ed and Liz

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I'm so glad this forum exists. It's an incredible resource!

Tom

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
And welcome back, again, to the diving ADDICTION!!
I agree that you should get back in the groove before Solo Diving, but you'll find that many on the board feel that it's just too dangerous to ever do. To get up to speed on current solo diving practices, and gear that folks are using, check out the Solo Divig forum.
Happy you found us.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom