New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StJohn

New
Reaction score
This is my first post to this board. Came upon you when looking for information on Fire Coral damage to my leg and hand. Just got my Open Water Certification in February and sure enough, before anyone could tell me about the hazzards, I found them. Concentrating so hard on "buddy breathing" that I never saw it. Now I know why they say a full body suit is far better than a shortie. Also, being more aware of our surroundings probably is the best prevention. Hard way to learn, but effective. My hand is better (cortisone & prednisone), but the leg and foot still look ugly. It's been three weeks. Thanks for the opportunity to vent - see ya, StJohn

Hi There StJohn,
Welcome to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving

-Matt- :sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

StJohn,

Welcome to the board. It's a great place to meet people and there's lots of information on almost every scuba subject you can imagine.

Hope you make a full recovery from the fire coral. Interestingly, a similar experience (but far less severe) taught me the same lesson - always wear a full suit on matter the water temperature. If you have had jellyfish stings across the face, a hood makes good sense as well.

Best regards,

Grey_Wulff

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

I hate Shorty suits!! I wear a skin, a 1 mil or more, but always a long. And I am quick to share that opinion with shop owners and instructors. Shorties are for Jet skiers and surfers. Good luck on your recovery

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear that you had to learn the hard way. I have looked closely at fire coral, but I have never touched it.

Thank you all for your comments - trust me when I say that the contact with Fire Coral was not something I intended. I never saw it. My instructor was having me kneel down on the bottom for some regulator exercises and I felt the sting on my foot. Can only assume that there was a small piece of it that he couldn't see. Anyway, thanks again.

Any chance anyone out there as a good recommendation for a dive shop/boat in Ambergris Caye, Belize? Leaving on the 23rd of this month for a week. Would like to do at least 4-6 dives while we are there. Thanks. StJohn

Welcome, as far as the fire coral goes, I know how you feel, I scraped up a nice sized patch of skin on the outside of my calf going after an escaping lobster. The only thing I can recommend is to apply an ample supply of "Afterbite" insect bite treatment to the wound. It will neutralize the toxins from the coral, but I warn you, It burn like HeII! Have fun in Belize too!

Back
Top Bottom