How does this thing work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bokeifus31

Registered
Reaction score
So I joined this recently, and this is my first post. I've been certified since July of '88. Got certified through Diver's Way on Long Island. Unfortunately I have only logged about 10 dives. I recently did my first dive over at Catalina Island. The Kelp forest is incredible. I also joined the Catalina Conservancy Divers Research Group. Attended Phaze I on Saturday, April 9th. I'm really looking forward to learning more about all the different plant & marine life that surrounds Catalina. Maybe find out more info about that island. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Bokeifus,

Welcome to the ScubaBoard. We've got a lot of divers out your way that you can hook up with for diving. A lot of them are into the Conservancy thing. You've certainly started out right! Again, welcome.

Hey, welcome to the board. I think you'll be in the class at catalina with some other Scubaboard divers. I recommend you come check out the California Kelp Divers Forum here on the board. There is a large group of us diving here and a group of us just met today for camping and diving near Malibu. The board is a great way to meet buddies and learn about local diving and just diving in general.

-Thomas

Hello bokeifus31, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome you to ScubaBoard!

Take care and Safe Diving. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hello bokeifus31, welcome to Scubaboard! Hope you enjoy being a member! There's lots to learn here.

Thanks, everyone, for your quick & encouraging remarks. I look forward to diving with some of you one day. I just have to make the time to continue diving. Gotta increase the bottom time. Any suggestions on this? Is it just a matter of increasing my cardio? Thanks again.

Keith

Welcome to the boards... and yes increasing cardio would be a good 1st step!!

Welcome bokeifus31
Lots of good company in the SoCal section of California Kelp Divers. Give me a jingle and lets get wet. I dive Malibu, Redondo Beach, Palos Verde and Laguna Beach and just about any other place with water and good diving.

You asked about increasing your bottom time. Long subject and one that has been covered several times on this site. Do a search is the best bet. But for convenience here is a readers digest on how to increase your bottom time:
1. Go diving often
2. Proper weighting, not too much not too little.
3. Learn how to properly work a BC with little puffs of air and waiting a bit so you are not constantly adding and dumping air in an imitation of a yo-yo (related to weighting).
4. Quick moving your hands around. Park them under your tank or cross your arms or do anything but quite moving them around and using them to swim or maneuver.
5. Go diving often
6. Move in S-L-O-W motion. SCUBA is not about speed. Slow down and take time to see the small stuff. Water is dense, speed eats energy and air.
7. Work out, do cardio exercises and stay in shape. run, bycycle, swim.
8. Breath normally. Take normal breaths not small shallow breaths. Small little shallow breaths only exchanges the air in the windpipe and top of lungs (BAD). That leaves most of the lung full of stale air, which has CO2 which triggers the breathing response, causing you to breath faster. Pretty quickly you feel like you are suffocating and start to hyperventilate. This will use more air than taking a normal breath and exchanging more air with each breath taken at a slower rater (good) which uses less air in the long run.
9. Go diving. Experience will help with all of the above. Shore diving is a good cheap work out and with more experience you will get more bottom time.

Back
Top Bottom