Another New Guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well here I am. I found this board searching for answers about the Atom 1 Computer and have been reading threads ever since.

I am new to diving (Legally) I just finished up my open water coarse and am headed to Cayman to do the Cert dives and Advanced Dives. I have been Skin diving for years and an avid snorkeler. I spend a ton of time in Kona so I have lots of great shore dives to explore over then next 50 years.

I bought me and my wife the Atom 1's off the internet after a lot of research. the big point I missed was looking whether the company was a Authorized reseller and I got burned. Now I am in the process of trying to get my money back.

The issue, The Atom 1's I recioeved are old versions and aperently flood very easily. Oceanic told me that they are no longer available and LeaisurePro in NJ buys the old items and discounts them to poor suckers like me. They will honor the warrenty if they flood but will not replace them until that event occurs which could ruin an entire trip. The new version has a better seal for the Battery compartment and better software that preserves battery life which I knew was an issue from reading this board. With the new software, they last almost a year, as promised before you need a new Battery.

Live and Learn I guess.

I am excited to get my dives in and further my education. I was a fireman for 10 years and took severl rescue diving courses but non were PADI and so I had no real certification. After I complete the Advanced dives I am starting a Nitroc and Rescue course. Eventually I would like to get certified as a dive master. Why, my own personal reasons but mainly to learn more and be safe. Besides, i enjoy the challenges.

Thanks for listening / Reading

Scooter, The Lava Surfer!

That is one of the coolest Avatars I have ever seen :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard !

Howdy and Welcome to SB.com :)

:thumb: Great Intro. I'll certainly look forward to your participation around the board.

Don't be too upset over the computer thing. Any of them can flood, malfunction, whatever. Some are more highly regarded by some divers than others, but they are all little electronic gizmos made by cheapest bid contracts, so there are no guarantees. I am a fanatic, tho, so I own and dive with two very similar computers, just in case one of them fails. The DIR folks have another approach.

have fun here, don :cowboy:

DandyDon:
Howdy and Welcome to SB.com :)

:thumb: Great Intro. I'll certainly look forward to your participation around the board.

Don't be too upset over the computer thing. Any of them can flood, malfunction, whatever. Some are more highly regarded by some divers than others, but they are all little electronic gizmos made by cheapest bid contracts, so there are no guarantees. I am a fanatic, tho, so I own and dive with two very similar computers, just in case one of them fails. The DIR folks have another approach.

have fun here, don :cowboy:

No big deal, I called them and the two atom 1's are on the truck going back. They say they will give me the newer model. I figure I should give them a chance.

I have a trip to the Caymans coming up so I want them soon so I can get to know them. I also have a Scuba Cruise in October. I looked at your Belize Pics and it got me all fired up again. I guess I need to post dome of my Skin diving pics I took in Hawaii last month.

Lil' Irish Temper:
That is one of the coolest Avatars I have ever seen :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard !

Thanks, I like it but it really wan't that cool. I started melting my camera taking some of the pictures that day.

Lava is HOT STUFF!

I filmed about 1 hour of great video as well. I usually hike the Volcani in Hawaii at least once a year. Its a great workout and tests my endurance. Usually its a 10 mile day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom