Seattle diver, Egypt-bound in 2006!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
fremont district seattle - too close to Tacos Guay
Hello all! Just got introduced to this site by a new buddy I made on a recent trip to Cozumel. Had a total blast in Mexico and now I'm ready for a real brainbending adventure...gonna to to Egypt in 2006!

I've seen great info posted on the various threads already, and I've made up my mind to book a week-long liveaboard out of Hurghada. Not sure which one yet. As a single young female, would much prefer a crew with decent manners - suggestions are welcome.

What I REALLY need now is logistical information, because I plan to fly in to Cairo, head immediately south for a week of diving, and then...

...rent a car with some (thus far unidentified) friends and crawl back up the West Bank, sightseeing at our own pace for a couple weeks before returning to Cairo.

Am I nuts? Is it safe? Are car rentals reliable? Are tourists too vulnerable when traveling independently in a group? What can we do with all our dive kit as we tour? Will it be damaged or stolen? Should we ship it all to Cairo or keep it with us?

I'm a smart kid and I travel a lot...just rarely outside the US. Want to see and do as much as I can without being hogtied to a tour group...and most importantly want to stay safe.

Thanks all - looking forward to learning and diving! J

Hi Jessie, and welcome!

Though I'm in Warsaw, Poland now, I'm from Seattle. Bellevue, actually. Moved out after graduating from the UW in 1976 -- Army and now civil service. Less and less like "home" now, but I still love to visit the Seattle area...

Very interesting questions you have about Egypt. The family and I visited there for the first time last summer, mainly to dive. But we took day trips to Luxor and Cairo. Unforgettable. Hot and exhausting, but unforgettable.

And we're going back again this July for two weeks of diving.

Folks here like Mania would be able to give you better advice than me... she's Polish, here in Warsaw; but she travels to Egypt a lot and is very knowledgeable.

At the risk of getting whacked by Mania (just kidding, Mania!), my reaction is you're being ... pretty adventurous. For one thing, driving there is... interesting. I wouldn't be that brave, certainly for my first trip there. But Mania -- and you -- may disagree.

On the other hand, I admire your ambition, and definitely encourage you to go in general. The "tourist" areas are very safe -- though that's not what you want...

--Marek

Sharm el Sheik was my dive experience in Egypt, FANTASTC!!!! Very busy place but well organised. Most places you dive can also be snorkelled, very interesting experience. Great medical facilities too. I should know, that's where I had me bends.

Taxi's may be cheap, but do negotiate your price before you travel in one, then grip on for dear life, they are dangerous! That's all I know, except to say, forget wet weather gear and go all out for the HOT experience.

Have fun!!

I'm new to SB too, you're sure to find what you are looking for here. Sounds like you have a very exciting trip planned. I take it you live in Fremont, do you attend the Folk Life festival? I'd like to sometime...and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate this weekend.

Wishful Diver:
I'm new to SB too, you're sure to find what you are looking for here. Sounds like you have a very exciting trip planned. I take it you live in Fremont, do you attend the Folk Life festival? I'd like to sometime...and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate this weekend.

I think Folk life is next weekend. This weekend it's U district. My wife will be at both festivals selling underwater photography. Stop in and say hello.

Uh, hello - and welcome to SB.com

A single female with little international travel experience, taking off alone in a rental car in a that country and culture?! Wow! I have not been to that part of the world, so I called a friend who has. He certainly hopes you're neither blond or blue eyed.

Ok, I am a bit of an alarmist. Here is a link to U.S. State Department Travel Advisories for Egypt: Click here

And here is one to US CDC advisories for north Africa: click here

You sure you don't want to do some international travel in the Caribbean first, for a little experience? (This, from a cowboy who keeps the last pickup he rolled out back of his house as a reminder to drive better. :silly: )

I'm sure it'll be a great adventure. Be sure to tell us all about it!! don :cowboy:

I haven't been there... yet. However, I've done some research on going there since I plan on doing it within the next 18 months. Unless you really want to go to Cairo, it seems cheaper to fly to Europe and take a charter flight from there direct to the Red Sea. Prices I was getting were almost half the cost of flying from LA to Cairo and on to the Red Sea.

Hey, Don- have you read the State Dept. advisories against travel in Miami, Detroit, Los Angeles and Newark?

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Hey, Don- have you read the State Dept. advisories against travel in Miami, Detroit, Los Angeles and Newark?

Dr. Bill
Hey Bill - how are ya!

Now I admitted that I was an alarmist, but I have driven in all those cities, as well as Manhattan, and I would not suggest doing so to my sister or daughter. I've driven thru Seattle, a much calmer city, I think.

I am an adventurous old cowboy and former Marine, but I do not think I'd take off exploring Egypt alone in a rental car. But you're more traveled than I. What do you think...?

Jessie
I have answered at least some of your questions here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=97772
And as marek said - renting a car and driving n your own is not the best idea.
Read what i wrote in the other thread and if you have more questions - just ask.
And of course - welcome to the board
Mania
PS. Marek - thanks!!!!
:D

I´ve only been to Egypt three times so this is simply my oppinions based on my travels there...Having said that I did drive around a bit on my own and I´ve since talked to other people who have...

My experience is that driving/riding a car is by far the most dangerous thing you can do in Egypt. For instance there´s a widespread superstition regarding lights at night that compell egyptian drivers to drive with their lights off...until they are almost past you...which is when they switch on the full power of their headlights(!!!) I´ve talked to several people who´ve had the same thing happen to them and also had some egyptians confirm that this is SOP for nighttime driving...

If you do decide to stick with your plan to drive around and assuming you survive the drive I don´t think you´ll have any trouble with the "locals" (even if you are american). My group that I drove around with was a mix of men and women and noone was ever met by anything but the typical muslim hospitality.

I´d second the advise for going thru the uk on your way in (to save money), just make Hurghada the entry/exit point for your travels and you´re good to go...

Also I´ve found emperor divers (www.emperordivers.com) to be a very good outfit (I´ve tried to other companies that didn´t quite match their level of service) but regardless of what company you choose for your liveaboard, you should never expect or accept rudeness from the crew (in Egypt or anywhere else)...

Just my 2 cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom