first post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings to anyone and everyone,
I've scanned threads on this board, but never posted. Am 50 years young, been diving five years, have 1.25 magnifiers in my mask to read gauges, and have gotten lazy doing tropical dives the past few summers. I live in Washington state and was certified in Puget Sound, and am finally getting serious about wetsuit/drysuit purchase so I don't have to break my bank accnt to dive. I'm debating wet vs semi-dry. Seems like most people say dry is best. Comments welcome... cool board.
Adios -- Diving Deadhead

welcome to the board. Be sure to fill out your profile so we can learn more about you. As far as your question you may get more notice in the equipment thread. I'm sure it will start a multi page debate. good luck though.

Hello Diving Deadhead and welcome aboard!

I was 43 when I got my OW certification. Not young, but certainly not old. Yeah, the SPG is probably harder for me to read than it is for the younger divers, but then so is the newspaper. :crafty: I haven't had to put magnifying lenses in my mask yet........

Good luck with the dry\wet suit selection.

welcome to SB.
pros and cons on both suits.

drysuit
1-dry suits require additional traning to get certified.
2-cost start at 1000
3-zippers must be replaced every few years
4-one hole it isnt dry anymore
5-is warmest in coldest water

semi-dry
1-cost start 300
2-no traing required
3-a hole want hurt it
4-great for very cold water
5-too hot for just cool water

i have a mares semi-dry and it is great for 50 degree water. you get wet but just a little at a time. the gradual wet allows the water to warm quickly up so you dont get a cold rush.

Hello and welcome to SB.com! :colgate:

I'm a few years older, but I think you'll like it ever better when you spend the money to get a flat top bifocal mask - so you can see the sights as well as the guages. I have two, yellow and red lenes. I dive with one and carry the other as a spare.

Be sure to check in on your local dive club foum. ScubaBoard.Com > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs> North America> United States> Pacific Northwest Orca Bait PM me if I can help you learn to navigate the board here.

have fun, don :cowboy:

:sunny Welcome to Scuba Board! My name is Matt. I’ve met a lot of nice divers and many helpful divers here. I look forward to reading more of your posts about your diving adventures. If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

Take care and Safe Diving. Matt. :dazzler1:

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom