'Nother Newb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike_D

New
Reaction score
Hi, everyone...new to the board here. Posted this in SoCal as well, with a few area-specific questions added.

Living in San Diego at the moment. Learned to dive in 2000 while in Okinawa with the military; logged a few months of tropical diving, and got back to California excited to continue. However, most of my diving buddies and I were split up shortly after, and I had a bad experience or two diving after that... I'm heavily into mountain biking, so just stuck with that for a while. Gave it another go last year, briefly, got nitrox and dry suit lessons, but still had some less than stellar experiences (nothing horrible, just not so much fun). But I was in New Zealand for a few months recently, biking and celebrating my separation from the military, and finally got the bug to do a dive. (Coromandel peninsula in the marine reserve off Cathedral Cove.) Had a blast, and got the thought to get back into it in Cali.

And then yesterday, the fiance and I took a trip to Scripp's aquarium, and the kelp tank...wow...I want to dive in that environment and see all that life. Looks like there's a LOT of stuff I've missed in California. I'm sort of embarrassed that I've been sitting on the shore missing out this whole time. Plus, I'll probably be taking a job this fall that will move me worldwide, and I wouldn't want to miss any underwater opportunities I may come across.

So I guess I'm back in the fold. Seeing as my fiance doesn't dive (and probably never will-I'm working on it, but she's slightly claustrophobic, very nearsighted, and hates being cold and/or uncomfortable more than she enjoys adventure...), I thought this board would be a great place to meet people and set up some dives...as well as answer a few questions I had. I'm pretty inexperienced here.

So, look forward to talking with everyone and logging some dives. See you underneath the surface,

MD

Hi Mike and welcome to SB, I too have done most of my diving in warm water and am now moving into the cold waters of our state. Great place here to get to know others in your area and get all that scuba talk off your chest. Welcome aboard.
David

You sound like you keep very busy Mike

Welcome to ScubaBoard :D

It's okay, diving isn't for everyone. Can your fiance carry tanks for you.
:lol:​
Dave Berry once wrote about how "walking on the beach is like going to the circus and looking at the tent," or something similar. So very few get down there as a part of the aquatic world, but you have now joined the elite who know.

don :b_cowboy:

Hey, all, thanks for the welcome and the advice. Don, I don't see Stephanie carrying a tank anytime soon...she doesn't have the sort of physique for toting heavy objects!

MD

Welcome Mike!

Hope you enjoy SCUBA Board, I'm sure you will have an opportunity to learn and share. I have found people to be very helpful. If I can help you feel free to contact me.

All the best,

Paul

:thumb: Hello Mike, I wanted to give you a warm welcome to Scuba Board. You came to the right place to meet other divers and find answers for things you are looking for. If you have any questions please let me know and (you can PM me also) I will try and point you in the right direction. and Safe Diving. Matt. :drummer:

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

Back
Top Bottom