So much water, so little time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerbrown

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
While my first scuba experience occurred in the Philippines in the early 70's, very few were concerned with certification at that time. I was re-introduced to diving a couple of years ago after moving to Guam from Europe. Since then, I have proceeded to earn a PADI assistant instructor rating.

Although my real job (sigh) keeps me out of the water much of the week, it does provide me with many travel opportunities to some great diving locations. This summer I will travel to Hawaii (posting this from Hawaii), Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Okinawa, and Thailand. I will spend every available weekend diving at each place trying to make up for 30 'lost' diving years.

Being in my mid 50s only gives me another half century to dive. I an determined to spend as much time under water as possible and hope to be able to help others do the same.

Hi gerbrown, Welcome to SB and back to diving. If you don't mind me asking what type of work do you do in Guam that allows all the travel to such nice dive locations?
And second, why not go pro with dive instruction? The first question may answer the second.
David

Always nice to have you younger fellows joining us. :hippy: The 70s were fun, but try to explain the 60s to those who have never seen flowers on a mini-van.

Be sure to register for our I2I forum and get a neat badge, just click here: Dear Instructors and Dive Professionals: or PM me for a shortcut...

:b_cowboy: don :cowboy:

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am a communicstiond engineer and have site locations throughout the Pacific/Asia. We haven't had an IE in Guam while I was at home in the past few months. The next one scheduled is in October and Iw ill try for the OWSI at that time. I already work weekends as a Divemaster and Assistant Instructor for a couple of the dive centers on Guam, and this lets me 'dive for free'. I even make a little extra when I get to stay home for a few weeks.

Welcome, great attitude.

Thanks Greg,

I spent 10 years in the ROK. I will be over there in September and have a chance to move to Anjongii next year. What are the opportunities like for English speaking instructors?

Always nice to see a peer who has rejoined the dive community. It ain't just for youngsters (you know, those forty-somethings)!

I had a fear of flying the first 30 years I dove so I did no dive travel in that period. I'm trying to make up for that now... at least as much as the $$$ allows. A job that allows one to travel to great dive sites? I never thought of that... a job that is!

Enjoy your reimmersion.

Back
Top Bottom