General Questions about the Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This thread is for all general questions about the Bonaire Invasion.

Example Question-
I'm a newer diver. Would I be able to attend the Bonaire Invasion or is it just for experienced divers.

Answer-
The Invasions are for all divers and experience levels.
Divers are group by experience level for boat dives.

So feel free to posts your questions and Cardzard or myself will do our best to answer them. Hope to see you there! :D

Last edited:
I realize that some of these questions can be easily answered by doing a little research, but I figured
that wouldn't help anyone else that may have the same questions.
So here's a few of my questions for you experts that have been there, done that.

1. Are dive flags required while shore diving? Answer NO
  2. Is the resort in town (within walking distance)? Answer yes (not a short walk )
  3. Are electrical outlets compatible with US products? Answer yes
  4. Is there a reef for diving available by the resort? Answer yes ( on site )
  5. How long does the initial required briefing take? Answer short video, fill out paper , buy marine pass ( guess 30 mins )
  6. At what times are the initial park briefings held? Answer we will have group briefing Sunday morning
  7. Is there a dive shop on location? Answer yes
  8. Are DIN rental tanks available? Answer NO
  9. Is theft a problem? Answer NO the hotel has security ( leave nothing in trucks while off site shore diving petty theft can occur there)
  10. Is a rental car/truck recommended? Personal preference not needed ( folks will most likely share trucks)
  11. Is there a free shuttle between the airport and the resort? Answer included in the package
  12. Are there other local inexpensive restaurants (Bonaire King, Mc Kleins) near the resort? Answer NO (They use to have a KFC but not near our resort)
  13. What is the primary currency exchange, is the USD accepted? Answer Yes
  14. If USD is not accepted, are there ATM's near by? SEE Question #13
  15. What is the water temperature, will I need a wetsuit? Answer Low to mid 80's ( you decide on wetsuit )
  16. Are there laundry facilities on the property? Answer NO (they have a Guest Laundry Service)
  17. Is there a grocery store within walking distance? Answer NO
  18. Is there free internet access available at the resort? Answer YES
  19. I understand that gloves are NOT allowed, is there anything else that is prohibited? Answer Spearguns and Slings (cannot think of anything else)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd add:

Any special gear considerations? Some shore diving sites have rough 'iron shore' entries, and once in the water entry can be over irregular surfaces. Therefore, thick-soled scuba boots that fit well and give you a secure footing are recommended. I use SeaSoft Sunrays, which 'waller' around a bit on my feet when it's really rough, but are nice. It's the thin-soled 'booties' I warn against (I hurt my foot pretty badly walking on rough iron shore in a pair).

A small water-proof container for items you don't want wet during shore dives is wort-while.

Mosquito spray for your legs when you eat out in the evenings. A lot of restaurants feature outdoor dining and mosquitos go after your legs.

Triple antibiotic ointment - helped me with a large abrasion that kept getting tight and painful when it dried. There is a drug store in town, though.

A surge protector for sensitive electronics. It's my understanding the U.S. is 60 Hz, 110 volt power supply and Bonaire 50 Hz, higher voltage, and some items can 'run hot.' Usually seems to work out okay, though.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is there more than one airport in Bonaire? If so, which airport do you fly in to? Answer NO only 1 airport

However check flying into Curacao and taking puddle hopper to Bonaire. You may add more flexibility and also save money

( Airport code BON) - Bonaire
( Airport code CUR) - Curacao

I realize that some of these questions can be easily answered by doing a little research, but I figured
that wouldn't help anyone else that may have the same questions.
So here's a few of my questions for you experts that have been there, done that.
19. I understand that gloves are NOT allowed, is there anything else that is prohibited? Answer Spearguns and Slings (cannot think of anything else)

Also tank baggers, pokers, or stainless steel rods. I have a friend that got his stainless steel poker taken away, and it's on display at Buddy's Dive Resort of what NOT to bring.

Last edited:
Are DIN rental tanks available? Answer NO

This is strange. Are they DIN tanks with the DIN to yoke screw that you can remove?

The last time, I was down there, all of the tanks were Yoke, not Pro-Valves. The only DIN tanks were Deco Cylinders, and Doubles, but not all resorts on Bonaire will have Doubles, or Deco Cylinders available. Are their DIN tanks available on the island, Yes; are their DIN tanks available at the resort the Invasion is being held at, if Cardzard says NO, then assume they don't.

I personally will be converting my regulators to Yoke for the Invasion (really for any of the traveling I do), since I have both the DIN and Yoke connectors for my regulators.

This has been discussed greatly in other threads about Bonaire and the lack of DIN tanks available. This does not need to hashed out again.

5. How long does the initial required briefing take? Answer short video, fill out paper , buy marine pass
( guess 30 mins )
6. At what times are the initial park briefings held?
Answer we will have group briefing Sunday morning

Cardzard, are these the same briefings? YES If so, what about the folks that get into Bonaire on Saturday morning. I would like to get the briefing over first thing Saturday morning, so I can hit the water ASAP, and not have to wait until Sunday for the briefing.
Those arriving Saturday morning can go to the briefing on Saturday ( I will be there also)

Does Plaza Resort have Dive Lockers to put dive gear in? Answer yes ( lockers are included in the package )

I read on dive shop info that they do orientation every morning at 9. And collect money for marine park fee!
Correct but I may get a special time for the group orientation. 1 of the many details I still need to hammer out with the dive op since we need the conference room due to our group size. I will post results later in time.

Also tank baggers, pokers, or stainless steel rods. I have a friend that got his stainless steel poker taken away, and it's on display at Buddy's Dive Resort of what NOT to bring.

What?! NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom