Invasion 2012 Travel and Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well we are getting so close to the INVASION!!!!!
I thought we could touch base on some of the great ideas that everyone had on preparing, packing, travel, and dive related tips. For some this is old hat, so share your knowledge.

I’ll get things started… Here are some of my tips. :D

DON'T FORGET These Items when Packing!
Airline tickets/info for going and return flights
Passports (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry on)
Driver’s License or if you don’t have one, some other form of picture ID.
Certification Cards and Dive Form (Down load Dive Paradise form and fill it out ahead of time)
http://www.diveparadise.com/Docs/DiversInformationSheet.pdf
DAN and Health Insurance Cards
Credit Cards or ATM Cards (call you card company, let them know when and where you’ll traveling)
(Some CC company charge an extra fee for transactions when out of the country)
Small Bills (1’s, 5’s, 10’s and 20’s go a long way) (Many of the restaurants don't accept credit cards if you plan on venturing into town to eat out)
Prescription Medication (keep it in the prescription bottle with your name on it)
Over the counter medications and first aide items that you may need
(You can find a lot of the same products in Cozumel, but the packaging may look different and the instruction will probably be in Spanish)
Sunscreen (biodegradable containing a mineral ingredient such as titanium oxide or zinc oxide if possible for the coral reefs health)
Sunglasses (polarized are better for gazing into the water)
Hats
Bug spray (if the bugs find you tasty)

I like to be organized (can’t you tell) so I have a travel checklist on file that I printout. Here's my list if you like. View attachment Travel checklist.pdf That way, I don’t have to think too much about remembering what I need. The list includes everything that might be needed. If something's on the list that doesn’t apply to this trip, I just cross it off. I also include things to do like stopping the mail, newspaper and calling the credit card companies to inform them that I will be going out of the country so they don't cut me off in mid-trip.

CARRY ON ANY ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE.
(Don't forget, Men and Women are allowed to have a personal item purse/back pack/briefcase in addition to their carry on)
Check with your Airline for specific rules as to what accepted and procedure for checking in, as these seem to be changing constantly.
For anything in question or liquid form, check with your airline.
TSA will take it and throw it away!
We personally had a problem with our rechargeable batteries in our carry ons leaving Coz. They weren't allowed in the checked and they weren't allowed in the carry ons. Making up the rules as they go, Go figure??? I would suggest not putting them all in one place in your carry on. Dennis had quite a few, all in one spot and I think they stood out like a sore thumb.

ID’s, Credit Cards, Cash etc.
Any Cameras/Electronics
You’re Regulators and Dive Computers
Prescription Medication
Glasses/Contacts
Jewelry

Put your name, address, and phone number in all your bags including your carry on and personal item in case they become lost or separated from you.

Put some of each persons items in each checked bag. That way if one of the bags get lost, you still have some of your things.

Diving Tips
We like to use baby shampoo for mask defog.

My feet get blisters and take a beating while diving multiple days, so I wear the thin trouser socks. It also helps your feet slip into your wetsuit!

A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry those bigger underwater cameras. They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, light weight and rinse out easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zip Lock Bags, water proof bag or pelican box, Tylenol, Pepto Tablets, Benadryl Gel... Call cell provider prior to trip in case you want service while there. iPod/iPhone Charger. I always have my Dr. give me a Z-Pack to take with me.

+1 on the Z-pack, I just got one of those too!
After grazing a hydroid last year, benadryl lotion is definitely coming!
Leave-in conditioner and plenty of hair ties for long hair underwater.

LULU and I have our packing down to a science. Observe and learn...
Now that's packing-2.jpg

Later,
Moonie

Printed copies of the information/release forms for Dive Paradise so we can complete prior to travel. Also decided to make copies of C-cards and DAN membership card (all on one piece of paper) to attach. Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter? I'm not familiar with Dive Paradise or what they prefer.

Here's my list if you like. View attachment 124688 That way, I don’t have to think too much about remembering what I need. The list includes everything that might be needed. If something's on the list that doesn’t apply to this trip, I just cross it off. I also include things to do like stopping the mail, newspaper and calling the credit card companies to inform them that I will be going out of the country so they don't cut me off in mid-trip.

you take your own weights?...and what the heck is the baby aspirin for in the Dive Equipment list? lol

Oh yeah, remember some Woolite if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes in the sink/tub.

Thanks for the tip, I did that last year and it worked great. But can you buy Woolite in Cozumel rather than packing it?

Back
Top Bottom