Great white shark caught off Okinawan coast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soldave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to let you know that on Wednesday, a great white shark around 6-8m/19-26ft in length and 1100kg/2400lbs in weight was caught, by accident (apparently) by Japanese fishermen near Yomitan off the coast of Okinawa. It was a pregnant female with 7 pups and the pups were alive and have been taken to Churaumi Aquarium. Not sure how many have survived over the weekend though, as they die pretty quickly in captivity from what I've heard.

I would post some pictures up here, but have only got them hosted on my blog at the moment. If you're interested then you can click here. I'll try to get some other hosting up here soon. This thing was big!!!!!

And by chance, another great white was caught near Ishigaki on Tuesday. This one was only 2m/7ft in length and a relatively slim 180kg/400lbs and was caught near the nets to one of the ports. Wish I could provide some more detail about that one, but I can't I'm afraid.

AWESOME! I just hope my wife don't catch wind of this or she will never get in the water again. I put her under the impression there are NO sharks in Japan, cept the Hammerheads. lol

Haha - there are a few blacktips and whitetips around too, although they're not too big. Actually, they do catch about one big great white every year off the coast of Okinawa, but it's nothing the worry about IMO. The ocean is a very very big place.

Every year a GW is caught in Okinawa? WOW, never heard that. Thats cool, not for the sharks but that are here. I love seeing sharks when I dive. So far I have been good with em, but then again I have never come face to face with a knocked-up 8m Great White either...

Damn...what a beautiful creature....thats 7 more pups that might have had a chance to breed more.......even though the ocean is a big place, the GWs could possibly be wiped out in 20 or so years.....I dont know this to be a fact, Heard it from a guy on a Guadelupe GW dive trip......

not sure if you guys heard, but the pups didn't make it. I believe they only lasted a couple days. The shark catch isn't going to stop me from diving here!

I don't like the idea of purposely hunting these creatures into extinction but I have to say I don't think I mind one or two accidentally getting snared.

The teeth on those things are freaky looking. Very efficient bony fish eaing machines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom