New to Zen Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thejapaneseeye

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I had orignally posted in another part of the forum, but I am writing some basic dive phrases in Japanese and English for my blog site, its a slow process as I do this with the help of my Japanese teacher (who doesn't dive). I went to Ishigaki Jima last year and dove with a Japanese company it was tough for me and them, so thats my reasoning, any feedback or extra phrases you can think of would be a great help cheers and here is the link to my site

Jon

Jon, have you seen the two "Diving in English" books?

I have noticed that many Japanese teachers do not understand the jargon of scuba diving and they get many phrases incorrect. YMMV.

In your page, there are a few errors. For example, when the tank is empty, we would say "tanku ga karapo" (kara=empty), but that also infers that it is completely drained. Your translation is literally "there is no air in the tank".

Take a look at the book, there are many very good examples. One of my DMs and I once worked on a bunch of phrases but they never made it to our web pages. We use them to train Japanese DMs (as well as some Instructors) who want to know both English and Japanese.

If you let me know exactly what phrases you are looking for, I'd be happy to help out as we probably have most of the work done already. For fun and practice, sometimes we have the English speaking DMs do a briefing in Japanese...it is also interesting to listen to Japanese DMs do their briefs as they are quite different.

Thanks for your help, I will have a look for that book, is it a book for Japanese or English readers, I don't really have a set of phrases I am looking to learn, just trying to apply some of the Japanese I know into a dive situation as part of my learning
Cheers

The books are written for Japanese in order to learn phrases when they dive overseas. I recall that one is written by Charles Whipple, one of my SOBs (Same Ocean Buddies). He has some peculiar English in some phrases...

Usually you can find these on sale at the bookstore at the Diving Festival which was held, er, last month. They are not readily available from dive shops or regular book shops, I had to special order my copies.

Jon,
Welcome to Zen Divers

One of the books is 'DIVE IN ENGLISH' and it's form-number is ISBN4-915275-52-3.

But I think Japanese knowledge is necessary to read and understand the book , anyway try on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom