Shirasaki Ocean Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I made my first dives in Japan on Saturday, 20 September 2014 at the Shirasaki Ocean Park. It is an excellent training facility and government owned facility located in Wakayama. They rent the tanks and weights. They have a shop, restaurant, changing rooms, showers and a large training pool. Dive shops from all over the region bring their students there for the weekend. They do their pool work in the morning and then their open water dives in the afternoon. The pool has three distinct levels and a mirror in the deep end so you can check your trim.

There are steps down to the beach and a ramp for entering the water to avoid the surf. The visibility was about 20 feet as there is a typhoon heading towards Japan that stirred up the water. It was a windy day but with small waves and current. There was an occasional surge but it was manageable.

Here are some photos:

DSCN0041.jpgDSCN0043.jpgDSCN0044.jpgDSCN0045.jpgDSCN0046.jpgDSCN0047.jpgDSCN0048.jpgDSCN0049.jpgDSCN0062.jpgDSCN0063.jpgDSCN0064.jpgDSCN0066.jpgDSCN0067.jpgDSCN0068.jpgDSCN0069.jpgDSCN0070.jpgDSCN0071.jpgDSCN0072.jpgDSCN0073.jpgDSCN0075.jpg

Thanks - I have a friend that dives in Wakayama - hoping to make it there this year. In my part of Kyushu water temperatures are up to 18 degrees. Planning to get in the water next weekend :)

Shirasaki reported the water temperature as 19°C on Monday. I think I'll be there on Sunday ... in a dry suit. There are demo days this Saturday and Sunday with scuba vendors there and discounts on tank rentals.

I've been there three times this year including last Saturday. The wind picked up and there was lots of surge. Visibility was not good. There was still about 100 open water students marching into and out of the water and avoiding debris including logs in the water.

Water temperature is about 21° C.

I was there this past weekend. It was bright and sunny on Saturday and overcast on Sunday. Water temperature was 26° C.

I was there on Sunday, 4 October. There was a lot of chop because of the distant Typhoon 23 but visibility was good. The air temperature was 24.2° C and the water temperature was 24.4° C. One of my students got seasick so we moved the scenarios over to a sheltered cove nearby. The Shirasaki employees actually drove us over there in a company van. This place is amazing for conducting training.

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On 24 & 25 October, Shirasaki Ocean Park is having a season-ending special event: all you can dive for ¥4,320/day. Quite a few manufacturers will be there with demo gear so it is great opportunity to try out the latest gear on the market.[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom