Diving Japan in February? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott from LongIsland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Japan for 12 days in February. We will be staying in Tokyo but I would love to get a few days of diving if possible.

Is there anywhere that would be good in February where the waters are not too cold? I am guessing that Okinawa would not be so warm this time of year and rainy season?

Any input on Ishigaki or Yoronto?

Thanks for any help!

Nothing is going to be warm in japan that time of year.

Okinawa in winter is still quite warm, a 5mm wetsuit with a 2mm hood and gloves will do for most people.

Depends on your definition of warm. Okinawa and Ishigaki will have water temps in the low 20s and Yonaguni will be 24-25C so not really cold. Air temps will be in the high teens to 20's also so quite comfortable. Most divers are in 5mm suits with hoods. Great diving that time of year with humpback whales by the main island of Okinawa and schooling hammerheads in Yonaguni.

If I were you, in January I would try to go to yonaguni to see the underwater city and large schools of a hammerheads. Potentially even the whales!!

Anyone know if there is a 1 day boat dive from Naha to Yonaguni. I'm going to Okinawa for 3 days in February 13,14, and 15. I would be really love to dive the Yonaguni monument...

Anyone know if there is a 1 day boat dive from Naha to Yonaguni. I'm going to Okinawa for 3 days in February 13,14, and 15. I would be really love to dive the Yonaguni monument...

There are day trips to Kerama islands from Naha but Yonaguni is far far away from Naha. You have to fly over there.... If there would be a ferry, it would probably take a day to get there (I think there used be one from Ishigaki island but not Naha).

Cheers

As stated earlier - Naha to Yonaguni is 1 hr and 15 minutes by plane so no day trips from Naha. Kerama islands, Onna Walls, USS Emmons all can be done in a day trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom