Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Knight

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I'm new so bear with me (I use to be a bear a good o bear too ...). Is New Horizons the only dive shop in Lexington? I hear there is one in Somerset anyone know if this is so?

There are several shops in Louisville but the largest is in Northern Kentucky contrary to what some dive shops in southern Kentucky may advertise :11: .

Also, there is a fella in Danville that has many lines of SCUBA gear he sells out of his home. Everything from masks to regulators.

Divers Den in Somerset, has a large selection of scuba equipment in stock. Regulators, fins, mask and about any thing you need for diving. Give Dean a call, or better yet go and see him.

Thanks folks, would like to at look around a bit. Just something about no competition that gives me the jitters. Besides the communication, or lack there of, from NH during OW course made me think a little.

LexingtonDiver:
There are several shops in Louisville but the largest is in Northern Kentucky contrary to what some dive shops in southern Kentucky may advertise :11: .

Also, there is a fella in Danville that has many lines of SCUBA gear he sells out of his home. Everything from masks to regulators.
The dive center that you speak of in southern Kentucky is currently over 10,000 sq. ft. The retail space consists of over 5,000 sq. ft. of tightly packed in scuba equipment. Another 3,500 sq. ft. of indoor heated pool space that holds a 20 x 40 custom pool that is 12 ft at the deep end. The remaining 1500 to 2500 sq ft is back stock. The dive center has been planning a 2,000 sq. ft. retail expansion for the past 8 months now to handle the increased inventory selection.
With all due respect to the northern Ky. Dive Centers, we think the above numbers do represent the largest Dive Center. However, everyone should love and support their local Dive Center regardless of size.

Dacor1:
The dive center that you speak of in southern Kentucky is currently over 10,000 sq. ft. The retail space consists of over 5,000 sq. ft. of tightly packed in scuba equipment. Another 3,500 sq. ft. of indoor heated pool space that holds a 20 x 40 custom pool that is 12 ft at the deep end. The remaining 1500 to 2500 sq ft is back stock. The dive center has been planning a 2,000 sq. ft. retail expansion for the past 8 months now to handle the increased inventory selection.
With all due respect to the northern Ky. Dive Centers, we think the above numbers do represent the largest Dive Center. However, everyone should love and support their local Dive Center regardless of size.

Yes, the shop in Northern Kentucky also has similar square footage. They have 25+ instructors to choose from also. I would assume that the shop in southern Ky. must have many instructors on staff, although not for sure?

Support you LDC.

LexingtonDiver:
Yes, the shop in Northern Kentucky also has similar square footage. They have 25+ instructors to choose from also. I would assume that the shop in southern Ky. must have many instructors on staff, although not for sure?

Support you LDC.
Wow! 25+ Instructors to choose from is a lot. In fact, I don't know of many Dive Centers that would have 25 instructors unless they were certifying thousands of students per year. The shop in southern Ky. has one full time Instructor that teaches all of their classes. I think they prefer to keep more of a personal relationship with all of their students. However, I know they would welcome one or two excellent independent Instructors to help out at the shop.
The shop is open 7 days a week in the summer (Mon-Sat 10-7, Sun 1-5). Winter hours are Mon-Sat 10-5. Their web site is currently down as they locate another host (their old one closed). They have been in business for over 18 years. I hope you get the opportunity to get down to the shop and check it out. The shop is in Somerset, Ky. I think you will really be impressed with it.

Dacor1:
Wow! 25+ Instructors to choose from is a lot. In fact, I don't know of many Dive Centers that would have 25 instructors unless they were certifying thousands of students per year. The shop in southern Ky. has one full time Instructor that teaches all of their classes. I think they prefer to keep more of a personal relationship with all of their students. However, I know they would welcome one or two excellent independent Instructors to help out at the shop.
The shop is open 7 days a week in the summer (Mon-Sat 10-7, Sun 1-5). Winter hours are Mon-Sat 10-5. Their web site is currently down as they locate another host (their old one closed). They have been in business for over 18 years. I hope you get the opportunity to get down to the shop and check it out. The shop is in Somerset, Ky. I think you will really be impressed with it.

Actually I was told 35 instructors by a member of this board. I thought that # was a bit high so I just downsized it to 25. 3 or 4 instructors would be perfect. Keeping things on a personal level is the best way to keep customers around in my opinion. It never hurts to have a new friend walk through your door.

Back
Top Bottom