Lake Cumberland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They had allready lowered it some. Another 10-15 feet will render it allmost useless to boaters because all the ramps will be out of reach. This will surely hurt the local economies. Espcially Russle Springs and Somerset where allot of the houseboat industry is located. You won't be able to get near Laurel Lake this summer. The boat traffic was allready bad there but now it will be impossible.:shakehead

When I was down there this last year they had already taken over the area around the dam, and water levels were down.

Just my opinion, but I think the condition of the dam is worse than they originally figured.

Nothing like diving in a shallow mud pit with no vis, but hey, it was a fun day!

I heard yesterday they are going to drop it about 43'. That puts about 90% of the ramps out of use. Several places are planning on extending the ramps before they go out of business.

Is there anything worth diving that is not normally reachable, while the water is down? I'd say it will warm up long before it comes back to regular pool.

K2

This is a shot in the dark but I don't suppose the Army Corps of Engineers has and ETA on getting the dam fixed? I figure it will take a few years.

Elizabethtown, Ky had the same problem with their dam at Freeman Lake. This dam was nothing in size compared to Wolf Creek Dam. It took years to get the dam at Freeman Lake fixed.

You are right, Laurel was/is already over crowded and this will just ad to the pollution already there. Geeez.

As stated previously, Dale Hollow is my personal favorite, I hope there is very little overflow of traffic to that lake.

I'd be willing to bet that Cave Run will get the bulk of the Ohio Navy this summer.

Diveratt:
I heard yesterday they are going to drop it about 43'. That puts about 90% of the ramps out of use. Several places are planning on extending the ramps before they go out of business.

Is there anything worth diving that is not normally reachable, while the water is down? I'd say it will warm up long before it comes back to regular pool.

K2
I noticed on the front page of Monday's Herald Leader, in the background of the picture of Burnside Marina, was a tunnel. In the picture it was already High and Dry. Does anyone know if this tunnel is underwater at normal Summer pool? :huh: Is it clear through or is there debris obstruction? I'm thinking cave dive with really lousy vis!:eyebrow:
Jim

I'm sure by mid summer the mud will be dry enough to walk on suggest a hike into the tunnel and check it out. Take a GPS and get the nav position for it then when the water is back up you'll know it's exact location to dive. :)

On Louisville radio tonight I overheard the Corps is heading a 5-7 year timeline for the dam repair. 10 ramps have been approved by Congress to be extended immediately, leaving about 40 more for final budgeting approval. I think Barren and Dale Hollow will get a lot of the overflow this year.

Back
Top Bottom