Kentucky Derby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok... Min & I are planning to check out Kentucky Derby this Saturday. :D

This is the first time to go to the Derby and even be at Lousiville, KY. We used to drive through Lousville... :eyebrow:

So, basically what do we have to check out at the Derby except a race?:confused:

Is there any "must see or eat" event, item, or stuff?

Any trip info will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,:)

One must experience the culture of the infield at least once in their life. Other things to take in are the mint julips, the best burbon on the planet, enormous goofy hats on everyone, $8 beers, parking from hell, killer pork chop sandwiches, and oh yea...I believe they have horses as well.

The infield at the Derby is similar to a crowd at a music concert. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can actually see the horses running around the track (lol).

The seats outside the track is full of lovely ladies in nice dresses and all have a matching hat. (hats are a must for that crowd).

The seats in the infield are like going to a redneck NASCAR race. You'll see more flashing of boobs for beer there than Mardi Gras,

THe only thing the two have in common is alcohol.

Somewhere in the middle of all that, you'll see a bunch of horses running for about 90 seconds.

Thanks all..

Where is good place to park? Is there any local tip?

bag_one:
there giving thunderstorms for the derby is the infield still a mud pit when it rains?

YES, it is!

hoosier:
Thanks all..

Where is good place to park? Is there any local tip?

There are several options for parking...1) residential homes around the track on Cardinal and the outlying area sell spaces on their lawns (prices range from $15 for some oft he more distant localtions to well over $100 for prime spaces near the trac, 2) park at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on Floyd St. and either walk or take the TARC bus for a few dollars, 3) Pick a place on the street EAST of the track and hoof it. Do not park West of the track, nor do not risk the auto on the street out of someone's yard for more than a 3 block radius of the track as auto vandalism increases expontentially during Derby. Whichever way you choose have fun, take a raincoat for this weekend, and conceal the booze very well as they search and and all coolers brought in by people.

Next year you should go down the weekend before the derby. You can still watch races and there are no crowds. We wore matching polo shirts and were wandering around watching the races from areas in the stands that look like mini paddocks with chairs. I'm guessing these are the owner's boxes, they are GREAT seats, we sampled several :D Some of the derby horses were already in town and we got to see them in the exercise paddock.

Personally I didn't care for the mint juleps at the track, tastes too much like straight whiskey and not enough like mint. A friend told me (after the trip of course) that the ones sold at the track are indeed icky mint juleps, you need to get a homemade one to appreciate them.

There's actually quite a bit to see on the property including a museum of sorts. Louisville is a lovely town, I'm not the city dwelling type but I could live in Louisville.

Have a great time!
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom