What's a good dive knife for a Southpaw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of knife do you lefty divers use?

It seems a lot of models are designed specifically for right handed people, or it least only goes into it's sheath for a right hand mount.

I saw a big thread where a lot people were a arguing knive vs. shears, etc. Please lets not start that here. I have the kind of luck that I'd be one of those people in that rare situation where shears just won't cut it.

I am not a lefty, but use a $4 paring type knife from the grocery store that is sharper than most any dive knife I have run across and about 10% of the cost at least.

Tommy

I own over 100 knives (OK, let's not psychoanalyze). Only half a dozen or so would be considered dive knives. I also have 2 EMT-type shears. I'm fairly ambidextrous, and I don't see what makes a knife left- or right-handed. If it has a release, you use your thumb or index finger. The Halcyon design uses a bungee, completely ambi. The shears use velcro, are purposely ambi. In my view, almost all dive designs are ambidextrous. Wear the thing wherever it's easiest to access. Oversimplifying, here. IMO, most dive knives have an overly restrictive catch that's centrally located (my Ocean Master titanium, for one), and that makes it ambi, but you darn near need both hands to release it.

Bottom line, if I need my knife, I want to be able to grab it with either hand. Think about it...

Joe

We're rookies and my friend just bought a few cheapie knives for all of us.

The release is built into the handle of the knife, so it only goes into the sheath one way making it right handed in the sense that no matter where I mount it, if I take it out with my left hand the blade is backwards.

I agree with wanting to be able to grab it with either hand, but at the same time, I am lefty so I want to be sure I can get it easilly with my left hand without it being backwards.

It's short, only cuts on one side, and can only be put in the sheath one way (right-handed). These wholesale for like $5. There're a jillion different designs of dive knives, at all different prices. If you want a nicer one, look for one that can be put in its' sheath either way. I don't think there's a true lefty model out there.

But you know what? I haven't seen any dive knife that has a catch that I like. They're awkward, flimsy, or too tight (stiff). I think the best idea so far is the plain nylon webbing sheath with no catch (see Halcyon's). Some guys use the thin bungee loop that goes around the handle, but most just let friction hold the knife. Now, I wouldn't put a $150 titanium knife in there, just use something cheap, like what you already have, or what Tommy uses.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom