Knives and slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I'm interested in what people's opinions are on the "best" dive knife. I'd prefer a blunt nose, and probably a small spare that I can lash onto my gauge hose. I've heard Markat knives are decent.

Also, what do other divers have for slates? I'd like a small (probably 4" x 6") or so.

IMO, the knife should match the potential hazard, and be useful as a tool, as that's what it is.

I prefer a rather large folding knife that has smooth, serated (how do you spell that?) and a line hook. Kept in a custom pouch on the waist. Also have EMT shears on harness chest strap, and, if diving around nets or mono, a zip knife on my b/t strap.

My single b/p is setup similiar, but I have a short, blunt Kona knife on the waist instead of the folder.

Have two slates. Small one on dogclip inside drysuit pocket that is always there, and wrist multi-slate that I use for deco and serious stuff.

MD

opinion ?

here goes ...
knife - blunt nose so i don't poke myself
small enough so as not to snag
nice finger guard so i don't split my finger
shears - so i could cut with only one hand
terrifies the marine life less if i need to free 'em

slates - big enough to use font size 20
not too big that it can't fit in pocket
enough of it so i could write notes underwater
enough of it so i can wite my dive plan
i guess i need to change and get wetnotes or durarite

feel free to do a search - there could be a thread out there by people with different dive experiences about what works for them.

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I'm interested in what people's opinions are on the "best" dive knife. I'd prefer a blunt nose, and probably a small spare that I can lash onto my gauge hose. I've heard Markat knives are decent.

Also, what do other divers have for slates? I'd like a small (probably 4" x 6") or so.

I have a short knife, 6cm long from Tusa. I wear it on the front of my BCD but you can attach it to a hose. Get one with a serrated edge. Shears are also handy.

As for slates. I have two. A simple rectangular one about 15x10 cm and a curved one that you can wear on your arm. The curved one is really nice if you want to write stuff down before the dive (like compass headings, your dive planning etc etc). It also folds open so you can organise your info on different pages. Very handy. Also, I replaced the pencil on my slate(s) with a carpenter's pencil. The tip is robust and easy to sharpen with a knife under water and it's big enough to not give you the feeling you're writing with a tooth-pick when wearing gloves.

R..

MechDiver once bubbled...
Also have EMT shears on harness chest strap
MD [/B]

MechDiver how do you secure the shears? I have been looking into ways myself but have not found anything I like. Got a photo by chance?
Scubaxris

scubaxris once bubbled...

MechDiver how do you secure the shears? I have been looking into ways myself but have not found anything I like. Got a photo by chance?
Scubaxris

Sorry no picture, my wife is too cheap to buy me a digital camera :D

I have the Sea Snips, and their sheath has a plastic "d" ring on the end opposite the handles. As I don't use the short bungie that is configured with the left D-ring on the Halcyon harness, I tied the plastic d-ring on the sheath to it, then took one of the elastic bandsthat is on the harness strap and opened the sheath, then pulled the band up next to the opening where the shears go into the sheath. That keeps the sheath from swinging around, but lets you open the flap all the way and does not impede the shears. I can reach the flap on the sheath with my left hand, push down, grab the shear handle and pull out of the sheath.

Harder to explain then to do. The shears ride very well, and do not interfere with stages.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

... As I don't use the short bungie that is configured with the left D-ring on the Halcyon harness,...

If I understand what you're referring to, isn't this bungie supposed to go over the inflator hose and corrugated wing dump line to keep them from flopping around???:confused:

WJL once bubbled...

If I understand what you're referring to, isn't this bungie supposed to go over the inflator hose and corrugated wing dump line to keep them from flopping around???:confused:

Yes, only its too short and too strong. I fought that sucker for a couple months, then got some very thin stretch tubing and tied a loop around the strap itself. It keeps the inflator in place, but will float along the strap if I shove a stage up under it or when I use the deflator. Works much better for me on both my bp's.

Don't tell George, okay? :mean:

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom