cutting pliers or shears for wire/steel line cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about carrying a pair of EMT shears in case I find myself snagged in some fishing net or line. What about wire or steel braided line such as a fishing leader? Will shears take care of that or should I carry a pair of side-cutter pliers (which I know will cut thick metal line). I'm worried that the pliers will rust quickly.

OMS shears will go through steel leader and smaller cables. You'll need to sharpen them again afterwards :)

They are SS and I de rust them every 8 dives or so. Other than that I just spray them with silicone after I get home from a dive.

Peter

zimm once bubbled...
I'm thinking about carrying a pair of EMT shears in case I find myself snagged in some fishing net or line. What about wire or steel braided line such as a fishing leader? Will shears take care of that or should I carry a pair of side-cutter pliers (which I know will cut thick metal line). I'm worried that the pliers will rust quickly.

The shears I use will cut through a penny, so I'm pretty sure they will cut through steel line. :)

even the best can't handle it reliably. The clearance between and deflection of the jaws during the cut can make even good shears fail when working on untensioned flexible multistrand cable.

To be sure you can cut cable use the correct tool. Scroll down to see tool C-7.

http://www.savacable.com/catalog/p16-tools.htm

FT

I dont currently have any kind of cutting tool in my scuba attire, i was wondering what all you guys think i should use when i go to dive, Shears obviously from your conversation, but what other kind of tool should i use?

I carry a small knife on my BC. I also have EMT shears that I bought at Walmart. I keep it in one of my BC pockets.

I would rather have them in a sheath.
Anyone know know what can be used as good sheath for shears?
I really don't want to pay for an expensive one.

thanks!

I recently started diving with a combination dive knife / shears sold by Parkway. It does a great job on cable and is heavier than most EMT type shears. It also has a notched area at the top of the shears that works well to hold the cable while you cut it. It can handle 1/8 inch cable with ease and I believe could cut 3/16 cable if you needed it to.

Alfredo once bubbled...
I would rather have them in a sheath.
Anyone know know what can be used as good sheath for shears?
I really don't want to pay for an expensive one.

The sheath that comes with a AA maglite flashlight is perfect for standard 5" EMT shears. I had one for years and never used it for the flashlight. Now I'm happy I didn't throw it away.

-Klaus

A trauma shears will cut a fishing steel trace. I cut one hanging from the mouth of a conger a little while ago. You can make a nice sheath out of webbing or seat belt. :D

Back
Top Bottom