best way to protect rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parzych

Registered
Reaction score
Gainesville/Orlando (depending on my mood)
I just purchased a stainless steel knife (I'm just to poor for titanium at this point in my life), and I'm wondering what the best way to protect it is?

see if I'm right:

-rinse immediately w/ fresh water
-take it apart, thoroughly dry it
-then the reccomendation is silicone grease and/or spray.

Which is better?

the grease, or the spray? Or is there something I don't know of yet?

My knife is about 20 dives old (over a time period of about 4 months), and has no signs of rust. I've been doing exactly what you said... 1) rinse with fresh water after every dive 2) when you get home, take it apart...rinse it off...and let it dry 3) spray (i don't use the grease) it thoroughly with silicone.

This technique seems to be working for my knife (which is stainless steel...i forgot to add heh).

Patrick

parzych once bubbled...
I just purchased a stainless steel knife (I'm just to poor for titanium at this point in my life), and I'm wondering what the best way to protect it is?

see if I'm right:

-rinse immediately w/ fresh water
-take it apart, thoroughly dry it
-then the reccomendation is silicone grease and/or spray.

Which is better?

the grease, or the spray? Or is there something I don't know of yet?

There is a product called renaissance wax its made in england. If you go to any knife show most of the collectors use it. I have a 30 year old buck knife that my father gave to me. Ive used it since i was a kid from every thing from huntting, fishing , snorkerling, now scuba diving. He also gave me a can of this wax.
I was told to clean my knife with fresh water , dry it and take a very small amount of this wax and rub it on the knife. This knife is 30 years old and still looks like brand new. Oh by the way if you want your knife to stay looking good dont store it is its sheath.

Back
Top Bottom