Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you prefer a dive tool that attaches to your BC or your leg? and why? while we are at what size?
thanks

A knife on the leg is nothing but an entanglement hazard.

If you're knife is meant for insurance against entanglement it needs to be where you can reach it regardless of what position you're in and preferably with either hand.

I carry emt shears on my waist just left of the buckle and a backup (small knife) in a thigh pocket.

If, for some reason, you need a big knife for digging or prying I would still have the small one in the same place as entanglement insurance. The big digging/prying knifes often aren't sharp enough to do you any good if you have to cut yourself out of something.

Oh...another suggestion...skip the $50+ dive knives and instead take a small kitchen knife, break it off and make sure it's good and sharp. Grab a piece of nylon webbing, fold and sow it and presto chango you have a sheath.

Medium size knife on leg. Small knife on inflator hose. Shears (EMT-type) on waist. Reason: I dive in zero visability (Ohio river is really dark and nasty) and quite often get tangled up in monofiliment line. On rare occasions, you get one hand caught, so by having cutting tools in different locations, you can reach them with either hand.

When I rec dive in clear water, I usually only keep the sheers with me, not the knives. Thats me and my reasons.

The dive knife should only be attached to the leg in "sea Hunt" episodes and older James Bond movies, especially if they are attached to the likes of Ursula Andrews.

In all other cases they should be attached somewhere closer to where you can reach them. The BCD shoulder strap is a good option (kinda under the inflator on the left)

Many people use shears instead of knives now anyhow, and these lose some of the machoness of strapping them to the leg, so are usually in a pouch on the waistband or in a pocket.

I personally have found that dive knives are 99% useless, and now carry line cutters (Z-Knife) one on the chest strap, and another on the computer wristband. When I take shears, I keep them in a pocket.

down4fun:
Do you prefer a dive tool that attaches to your BC or your leg? and why? while we are at what size?
thanks

I keep My kife at the BCD and another on the gauge hose. I have lost knifes by working around the piles or other work assoc. with construction.
I keep a small knife of about 4" blade on the hose that attaches the gauges. I keep the other one on the BCD attached on one of the rings on the BCD ( I have the black diamond by Sea Quest). That knife is the folding one that is in a small "holster". That one is a backup. I guess that goes back to the Navy days. Never have too many tools in the tool bag.
I never use a knive more than 4" because they are handy and I haven't met any 30' Octopus and have a rule against fighting Sharks. Even in the Navy in South East Asia I never carried a knife longer than 6". Any more than that it becomes a pry bar. The kifes that are longer also are thicker and Hard to keep sharp. My 2cents......Bill

MikeFerrara:
Oh...another suggestion...skip the $50+ dive knives and instead take a small kitchen knife, break it off and make sure it's good and sharp. Grab a piece of nylon webbing, fold and sow it and presto chango you have a sheath.

And you won't lose sleep over losing that knife. It's a great way to go.

MikeFerrara:
Oh...another suggestion... Grab a piece of nylon webbing, fold and sow it and presto chango you have a sheath.
This works for the shears equally as well. :07:

I carry a medium-sized blunt-tipped knife on the inside of my left calf. I feel there is minimum entanglement risk on the inside of the leg, and I like having a heavy serrated blade for cutting rope and rope-like fishing nets. I haven't had to free myself from one (yet) but have liberated sponges from discarded fishing nets.

I also carry a smaller knife on the right BC strap. I've noticed that most people who carry a small knife mount it on the left strap (near the inflator hose) or on the console (near the pressure gauge hose). I personally like having the sheath away from my hoses, so that there is less risk of cutting one in low vis.

I will be replacing the small knife with a pair of shears, b/c they are more useful in cutting some of the modern fishing lines and steel leaders.

If you carry a knife, get a quality one and learn to sharpen it. I believe a dull knife is dangerous as well as useless.

3dent:
I carry a medium-sized blunt-tipped knife on the inside of my left calf. I feel there is minimum entanglement risk on the inside of the leg.
Another safety reason to carry the knife on the inside is, when you have to ditch your weight bell, it won't accidently get caught by the knife.

And if you dive in california, a medium size knife is useful, since you will encounter kelp bed from time to time. Sometimes it is so thick that you can get caught by multiple kelps. It is nice to know you can always pull out the knife and do a 360 degree swing to release yourself. That may keep you away from panic. And of course, the medium size knife may be too big for BC mounting.

desert camel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom