Swiss army knife as a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone uses a swiss army knife as a dive knife? I have one and it will fit nicely into my BC pocket. Just not sure if it is made to last under diving conditions.

Are you talking about the knives with all the different tools inside? I guess one has to ask themselves, how many tools might you need underwater?

You'd almost certaily need to remove any gloves (if worn) to get at the blade and other tools.

Not a tool thats really made for undewater use by my observation.

I wouldn't have thought so. It might last a bit longer if it was really well greased up with silicon. Even then I would imagine it would deteriorate over time. I'm guessing though - they ARE tough.

I don't know how they are as far as rusting. But I always find the blades hard to unfold and it's probably harder underwater. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I really needed the knife and be trying to open the darn thing, especially if I only had one hand free.

They can be pretty handy to have in your drybox though.

Damselfish:
They can be pretty handy to have in your drybox though.

That's where I keep mine! :wink: Actually the Army knife is only a very small one - I also keep a Leatherman there for the tools.

yeah, i can't imagine opening oneof them one handed if you were caught in fishing line..

jagfish:
Are you talking about the knives with all the different tools inside? I guess one has to ask themselves, how many tools might you need underwater?

You'd almost certaily need to remove any gloves (if worn) to get at the blade and other tools.

Not a tool thats really made for undewater use by my observation.

Yes, one of those knives. But mine is a small one without much gadget. I actually do not need all the tools underwater, just happen to have one, and instead of getting a dive knife, maybe I can just utilise that.

All my dives are in also tropical water, gloves are not an issue for me. I am just wondering if the knife will last.

I don't have great experiences with stainless knives in salt water, and I think a folder will be even more prone to rust due to the places water can hang out. I'd just go for a cheap sheath knife, like Xcessories. At least that one is easily replaceable when it rusts.

i would think the blades would last, but the swivel point would rust..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom